Friday, the Duchess of Sussex lost a first round in a London court when a judge dismissed part of his trial against the editor of a British newspaper who had published extracts from a letter to her ex-father .
Last year, Meghan sued Associated Newspapers for invasion of privacy and copyright infringement for a series of articles in the Mail on Sunday that reproduced parts of the letter she wrote in August 2018, several months after the former actress known as Meghan Markle married British Prince Harry.
Judge Mark Warby dismissed some of the causes of action cited in his trial on Friday, including the claim that the newspaper’s publisher had acted “dishonestly” by quoting only parts of his letter.
Warby also overturned the claim that the Associated Newspapers deliberately “stirred up” a dispute between Meghan and her father, Thomas Markle, and intended to publish intrusive or offensive stories about it.
The judge said that the allegations should not be part of the case as they unfold because he held them irrelevant to establish whether the publisher was guilty of the illegal acts cited in the trial of the duchess: abuse of private information, copyright and data breach. Protection Act.
However, Warby said the rejected claims could be revived at a later stage of the case.
Associated newspapers deny the allegations.
Meghan has previously stated that if she wins the case, she will give any damage to which she could be assigned a charity against bullying.
His lawyers argue that the handwritten letter in question was a “private and intimate” message from a daughter to her father and accuse the newspaper of targeting Meghan with “distorting, manipulative and dishonest tactics”.
“The rights of the Duchess have been violated; the legal boundaries around privacy have been crossed, “his lawyers said in a statement on Friday.
They expressed surprise that the judge’s decision “suggests that dishonest behavior is irrelevant”, but added that “the essentials of this case do not change and will continue to move forward.”
Thomas Markle was to accompany his daughter down the aisle to the wedding ceremony with Prince Harry in May 2018, but withdrew at the last minute, citing heart problems.
The former television lighting director gave occasional interviews to the media, complaining in December 2018 that he had been “ghosted” by Meghan after the wedding.
Interviews and Markle’s relationship with his daughter complicated Meghan’s entry into the royal family.