Death from a spike in COVID-19 at the Orleans long-term care home

0
75


“Families are afraid and we don’t know what’s going on there. “

Twenty-nine residents of a long-term care home in Orleans have now died from COVID-19 – four of them over a 24-hour period this weekend, family members say.

Betty Yakimenko, who heads the family council for the Madonna Care community in Orleans, said the deaths were confirmed by a home official on Saturday.

Yakimenko, whose mother lives at home, is one of the family members who went public last month asking for more help at home, who was understaffed and struggled to cope.

She said on Saturday that it was difficult to get up-to-date information.

“Families are afraid and we don’t know what’s going on there. “

Madonna Care is one of the long-term care homes in Ottawa that has received additional help from hospital staff as part of the province’s action plan to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in long-term care homes .

Yakimenko said he was told that teams from CHEO and elsewhere had gone to the long-term care home to help.

A total of 74 residents tested positive at home. Twenty-two of these cases have been resolved, she said.

Ottawa Public Health has not updated its numbers of long-term care cases and deaths since April 28, for technical reasons. On April 28, public health reported 15 deaths to Madonna Care. The newspaper was unable to reach Sienna Senior Living, who operates the house, for comment.

It is not the only long-term care home that has seen an increase in COVID-19 deaths in recent days.

At Carlingview Manor, 19 residents died of COVID-19 on Friday, according to family members who receive regular updates. More than 131 residents and 62 staff were positive at the Carling Avenue long-term care home.

Mary Anne Frappier, whose brother lives in Madonna Care, called the situation unacceptable.

At least half of COVID-19 deaths in the province have occurred in long-term care homes. At the end of last month, Premier Doug Ford announced an action plan to increase testing and send support and additional staff to help households cope.

The province has also asked the Canadian Armed Forces to provide assistance to a handful of homes in southern Ontario.

Meanwhile, the City of Ottawa announced on Saturday that nine staff and two residents from the city’s four homes have now tested positive for COVID-19.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here