There is no guarantee that the Tour de France will take place this year due to the COVID-19 crisis, said French Sports Minister Roxana Maracineanu on Tuesday.
The Tour, the biggest cycling event of the year, was rescheduled from August 29 to September 20. With crowd-drawing events banned in France until the end of August, special arrangements may have to be made for the start of the Tour in Nice, the sports ministry said last month.
“Many people are begging me to keep the Tour even behind closed doors,” Maracineanu told France Television.
Tour de France
Cancellara skeptical of Tour de France plans for August
I hope it will happen but I’m not sure. We don’t know what the epidemic will look like after the lockdown.
The foreclosure of France, in place since March 17, will be partially lifted Monday, although the seasons of several sports championships, including Ligue 1 football and Top 14 rugby, have already been abandoned.
Bennett: the Tour de France must arrive
- Cancellara skeptical of Tour de France plans for August
- Froome doesn’t know if Tour de France organizers can prevent mass gatherings
Maracineanu added that the rescheduled Tour and French Tennis Open, which is scheduled to start on September 20, could be held behind closed doors if the ban on popular events is extended.
“Like the Tour de France, the French Open is the epitome of professional sport with the fans. The stadiums of Roland Garros have many seats to fill, making it play behind closed doors would be the worst solution but we would do it if the survival of these sports was at stake, “she said.
Tour for all
Van Avermaet in action on stage 2 of Zwift’s “Tour for All”
Tour for all