The Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) has declared an outbreak of COVID-19 at Victoria Hospital in Prince Albert.
Dr. Khami Chokani, the medical officer of health, declared the epidemic because of the length of time that a COVID-19 positive patient remained in the hospital without knowing his state of health, according to a press release from SHA.
The patient was initially tested negative before being transported to Victoria Hospital on April 21 for a medical need unrelated to COVID-19. The patient also obtained a negative result during a verbal risk assessment on admission.
On Thursday, it was determined that an additional test was needed and the positive result was reported the same day, according to the health authority.
The patient is the only case of COVID-19 in the facility and there is no evidence of transmission in the facility, says the health authority.
SHA reported an epidemic at the Lloydminster Hospital to the Department of Health on Sunday. The epidemic was not made public until Wednesday.
SHA says it is investigating contacts related to the Prince Albert patient. Staff who had been in close contact with the patient self-isolate. Contact tracing and investigation are underway to ensure that all contacts are identified.
Service changes are underway to accommodate the downsizing given the number of staff now required to isolate. As a result, one patient was transferred from intensive care to Saskatoon.
The emergency department remains open. Patients in need of emergency care should continue to seek services as usual, says the health authority.