Top COVID-19 Stories and News
- As of May 23, there were 25,500 known cases of COVID-19 in Ontario.
- 19,477 cases were resolved in the province and 2,073 people died.
- As of May 22, there were 9,835 cases in Toronto, 7,202 cases are resolved and 750 people have died.
The latest local and Canadian news on the new coronavirus
2:00 p.m. Police Increase Presence At Trinity Bellwoods Park On Sunday
Thirty police were in Trinity Bellwoods Park on Sunday, one day after 10,000 people gathered in the park despite social restrictions.
“As people enter the park, (the officers) basically tell people, we want you to enjoy the park, but there are limits,” said Toronto police chief Mark Saunders, who spoke to journalists in the park.
On Saturday, Saunders said, the main problem was “the cavalry in the drink.”
“Many of the complaints came from residents – people who urinate and defecate on their properties,” he said. “When an elderly woman opens her door and sees someone defecating, it is quite embarrassing. “
Some tickets were distributed, he said, but none were due to social distancing offenses. On Sunday, he said, the officers would firmly enforce the alcohol regulations in the park.
When asked if there would be a police presence in the parks in the future, Saunders replied that the police would deal with overcrowding issues as they arise. Saunders rejected claims that the crowd should have been expected: “The size of the crowd is not what it always is,” he said. “I spoke to officers who said,” We haven’t seen anything like it. “”
Like other officials, Saunders was quick to add that overcrowding in Bellwoods was a departure from other areas of the city park. “I don’t want people to think this is happening everywhere,” he said.
12:15 p.m. de Villa: “I think some young people feel that they are not at risk”
Echoing other officials, including John Tory, Doug Ford and Joe Cressy, city medical officer of health, Eileen de Villa, urged Torontonians to stay home after images of crowds of people hanging around in Trinity Bellwoods Park appeared on Saturday.
“We are disappointed with all that we have been through,” said de Villa in an interview with CP24 on Sunday.
“The whole city – whether you are talking about health care, public health, young people, the elderly – we have all sacrificed for many weeks. We have avoided disaster so far … We do not want to reverse progress. “
When asked to explain the overcrowding, de Villa replied, “I think some young people feel that they are not at risk, or that it does not affect them. But that’s not true – we know it. “
She added that the second demographic group most affected in Canada by COVID-19 is that between 20 and 39 years old.
de Villa added that the city sees residents achieving physical distances in other parks and that they have left green spaces open to the public for a number of health reasons.
“We recognize that in a city like Toronto, we have a lot of people living in smaller condos and apartments, and having access to spaces like parks is really important … It’s important to balance things out,” a- she declared. “We want to prevent COVID-19, but we also want to make sure that people take care of their health. “
11:13 a.m. Ontario Reports 460 New COVID-19 Cases, 25 Deaths
The number of new COVID-19 cases in Ontario continues to increase, with 460 reported Sunday morning. This is an increase of more than 412 on Saturday and 441 on Friday.
The total number of confirmed cases in the province is now 25,500.
Another 25 people died, bringing the total number of deaths to 2,073. Of these deaths, 1,300 were long-term care residents.
The number of cases resolved in the province is 19,477.
The province has still not met its testing targets, with 11,383 tests carried out since yesterday. A further 3,216 cases are currently under investigation.
Earlier this month, new cases of COVID-19 began to decrease, but the number of new cases has not dropped below 300 since May 9.
11 a.m. Ford promises “detailed” test strategy as Ontario reports 460 new cases
At a brief press conference on Sunday morning, Premier of Ontario Doug Ford announced that he will release a detailed testing strategy for the province next week.
Ford urged Ontarians to visit one of the province’s 129 testing centers if they feel they have been exposed, whether or not they have symptoms: “You will not be refused. You don’t need an appointment. Just go to a test center, “he said.
“Our test centers are ready to receive you, and the only way we can get these test numbers is for anyone who feels they need to be tested.”
The province has been criticized for a recent drop in COVID-19 testing while the number of new cases reported daily has remained around 400 or more in the past few days.
During the conference, Ford also said he was “absolutely shocked” by the images of thousands of people gathering in Trinity Bellwoods Park yesterday.
“I thought it was a rock concert at the beginning,” said Ford. “It’s a great day, and everyone wants to go out and have a good time. I understand perfectly. But the images I saw – we just can’t have that right now. It’s too crowded, too close. “
See Ford’s announcement below:
10 a.m. Canada has more than 83,000 COVID-19 cases
There are 83,621 cases of COVID-19 in Canada and 6,355 people have died.
The epidemic is a serious public health threat, although most people who contract the virus have not been hospitalized.
Symptoms include cough, fever, difficulty breathing and pneumonia in both lungs and may take up to 14 days to appear after exposure. People 65 years of age and older and people with weakened immune systems and / or underlying medical conditions have a higher risk of getting a serious case.
12:00 p.m. City of Toronto officials are furious at a massive crowd in Trinity Bellwoods Park
The City of Toronto released a harshly worded statement on Saturday evening denouncing “unacceptable” photos of videos of thousands of people hanging around Trinity Bellwoods Park who have circulated online.
“Today’s images of thousands of people gathered in Trinity Bellwoods Park were unacceptable,” said the unassigned release.
“More than 700 people in Toronto have tragically lost their lives due to COVID-19. Public rallies, like the one today at Trinity Bellwoods Park, threaten to undo the difficult and stimulating work that residents of this city have done in the past 10 weeks in their collective effort to beat COVID-19. “
Law enforcement officers and police will have a “visible presence” in the park on Sunday morning, the statement said. “The physical distance regulations and the provincial emergency ordinance regarding rallies will be strictly enforced. “
Learn more here.