Coronavirus: Pompeo admits US COVID-19 “not sure” came from Wuhan laboratory | US News

0
78


US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo admitted that the United States was not certain that COVID-19 came from a laboratory in the Chinese city of Wuhan, although he said there was “evidence significant ”to support this claim.

Renewing its criticism of China on the coronavirus Trump administration official said Beijing could have prevented the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people around the world by being more transparent.

But pressed on his previous comments at a press conference, he conceded that the officials did not have solid evidence COVID-19[female[feminine from a Chinese laboratory.



Mike Pompeo casts doubt on China's honesty with the United States

Pompeo: “This is not the first time that a virus has left China”

“We have no certainty,” he said.

“And there is significant evidence that it came from the laboratory. Both of these statements may be true. I did them both. Administration officials did them. They are all true. “

It comes after Sky News revealed that British officials believed it was very likely that the coronavirus strain was behind the global pandemic. naturally transmitted from animals to humans, not connected to a laboratory.

Pompeo’s comments were the latest examples of the Trump administration attacking China for its management of the COVID-19 disease caused by the new coronavirus, which has killed more than 255,000 people worldwide.

Critics say the administration is seeking to divert attention from what it sees as a slow response to the epidemic in the United States – where more than 72,000 people have died from the disease and internal estimates would indicate that the daily deaths could reach 3,000 in June.

Pompeo’s claim on Sunday that there was “a significant amount of evidence” that the new coronavirus emerged from a Chinese laboratory seemed to contradict his remarks last week – as well as those of the US top general on Tuesday – that it was still unknown from where the virus emerged.



Matt Hancock

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said he could not see any evidence that the coronavirus came from a laboratory, despite claims by Donald Trump.

“Let me put this to bed. Your efforts to try to find the right one – to spend your whole life trying to dig a little corner between the senior American officials… it’s just not true, ”he told a reporter, sometimes speaking of her. .

“Each of these statements is entirely consistent. Each of them. Put them together, there is no separation. We are all trying to find the right answer. We are all trying to get clarity. There are different levels of certainty assessed in different places. “

Pompeo also reiterated his more general claims about China’s management of the epidemic.

“China could have spared the world a descent into global economic unrest,” he said.

:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

“They had a choice, but instead, China hid the epidemic in Wuhan.

“China still refuses to share the information we need to keep people safe.”

He comes as Donald trump announced that the White House Coronavirus task force will continue its work on the epidemic – one day after the saying went down.

“Because of this success, the Task Force will continue indefinitely with an emphasis on SECURITY AND THE OPENING OF OUR COUNTRY AGAIN. We can add or subtract people, if necessary. The task force will also be very focused on vaccines and therapeutics, “said Mr. Trump in a series of tweets.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here