The mayor of Sao Paulo on Thursday announced new guidelines to gradually reopen the city, despite high levels of infections and deaths linked to Covid-19.
Mayor Bruno Covas said at a press conference today that several parts of the city will be allowed to submit plans for health and sanitation reopening to authorities from Monday.
Once these plans are approved by the city government, they can reopen.
Companies authorized to submit reopening plans include offices, retail stores, car dealerships, real estate agencies and shopping centers. Food courts and gymnasiums are excluded. There are still no prospects for the reopening of schools or parks.
Remember: Earlier this week, an official with the World Health Organization warned that Latin America is the new epicenter of the pandemic and that cases are accelerating in Brazil.
Brazil overtook Russia over the weekend in the number of coronavirus infections and is now the second highest in the world, with more than 400,000 cases.
Currently, the intensive care beds in Sao Paulo are 92% occupied, the mayor said on Thursday. He added that more intensive care beds have been brought in and more are on the way, but the number of intensive care beds is slightly higher than it was two weeks ago.
Covas and Joao Doria, the governor of the state of Sao Paulo, have implemented a series of measures in recent weeks to slow the spread of the virus and promote social isolation.
Doria has given the green light to several municipalities in the state of Sao Paulo to begin the partial reopening, including the capital on Wednesday. Experts say this decision is risky.
Sao Paulo reported 129 new deaths and 3,096 new confirmed cases on Wednesday, accounting for 15% of all new cases in Brazil. The city recorded a total of 54,948 Covid-19 cases.