EasyJet has announced that it will resume certain flights on June 15, with all passengers and cabin crew members required to wear face masks to protect themselves from coronavirus.
The airline has announced that it will restart “a small number” of routes where customer demand is sufficient.
The initial program will include domestic connections across the UK and France.
EasyJet CEO Johan Lundgren said “these are small, carefully planned steps.”
Starting in June, EasyJet will take off from Gatwick, Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Belfast.
The only international service from the UK will fly from Gatwick to Nice.
Lundgren said new routes will be announced in the coming weeks “as customer demand increases and lockouts across Europe are eased.”
The company immobilized its entire fleet in March, when global travel almost stopped.
When flights resume, no food will be available on board and customers will have hand sanitizers and hand sanitizers.
EasyJet said its planes would also be subject to “improved cleaning and disinfection”.
Lundgren said, “These measures will remain in place for as long as necessary to ensure that customers and crew can fly safely as the world continues to recover from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. “
New health standards
The new EasyJet rules have been developed in accordance with the latest advice from the government and in consultation with aviation authorities such as the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).
On Wednesday, EASA and the United States Center for Disease Prevention and Control released a new set of health standards for airlines hoping to start flying again.
They recommend wearing face masks, a physical distance of 1.5 m if possible at airports, and washing your hands often.
They stopped calling from a social distance on planes because of the confined space, but added that other measures should be followed at all times.
“Fly again safely”
Meanwhile, Heathrow Airport will start using thermal imaging cameras to perform temperature checks during a test on some passengers in its Terminal 2 on Thursday.
Its managing director, John Holland-Kaye, told the BBC Today program that this measure is already used in many countries around the world.
“This will help us understand if it could be part of a common international standard for people to fly safely again,” he said.
Several other airlines have indicated that they plan to resume flights in the coming months.
Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary said
that the airline plans to increase its flights in July, when British Airways will also resume certain flights.
EasyJet’s announcement followed admission earlier this week that a “highly sophisticated cyber attack” had affected approximately nine million of its customers.
He said the email addresses and trip details had been stolen and that 2,208 customers had also had access to their credit and debit card details.
The firm first learned of the attack in January and informed the office of the UK Information Commissioner while it investigated the violation.