In a speech that is sure to divide people, the Prime Minister proposed easing the lockdown restrictions for establishments such as car showrooms, auction houses and non-essential stores – including clothing stores and toy stores.
The lifting of the restrictions means that we will likely see favorites on the streets within a few weeks, although retailers will need to make sure they follow strict guidelines to keep staff and retailers safe.
According to the Mirror, stores were asked to “consider” placing a poster in their windows to show that they were aware of the advice and that they were committed to taking safety measures.
They were also advised to store the returned items for 72 hours before returning them to the workshop.
Protective coatings could be applied to large objects touched by the public, such as beds or sofas.
“Frequent cleaning” of cash registers, carts, coffee machines and betting terminals is recommended.
The full list of stores that can open and their scheduled reopening dates are as follows:
- External markets
- Car showrooms
This will happen from June 1, “as soon as they are able to meet the COVID-19 secure guidelines to protect buyers and workers.”
ALL other non-essential retailers can reopen from this date, including (but not limited to):
- Clothing stores
- Shoe stores
- Toy stores
- Furniture stores
- Auction houses
- Photography studios
- Domestic markets
Video not available
Places that cannot yet reopen include:
- Restaurants, bars and pubs
- Cafes and canteens
- Hairdressers, barbers, beauty and nail salons
- Piercing and tattoo parlors
- Holiday accommodation, including hotels, inns, guesthouses, vacation rentals, campsites and guesthouses
- Caravan parks / sites for commercial use
- Community centers
- Places of worship
- Museums and galleries
- Cinemas, theaters and concert halls
- Bingo halls, casinos and betting shops
- Spas and massage parlors
- Skating rinks
- Indoor fitness studios, gymnasiums, swimming pools or other indoor leisure centers
- Indoor arcades, bowling alleys, play centers and similar facilities
- Playgrounds, outdoor gymnasiums and outdoor pools