Chris Froome thinks that the Tour de France can run without spectators – but wondered how the organizers can prevent large crowds from converging along the route.
Originally scheduled to start on June 27, the coronavirus pandemic has postponed the Tour until August 29 and doubts remain given the different situations of Covid-19 around the world. The French government says no mass rally can take place before September, but said the tour could still continue on its new dates if the opening stages are properly managed.
This is one of the main things that Froome thinks is difficult to manage as he continues to prepare for a tilt to another win to add to the four he already has.
“Of course we can start the race without people standing on the roads and fans in that direction,” said the Team Ineos driver. “I mean, we can start the race and it can be broadcast on television. You wouldn’t get the same scenes as if you went through these tunnels of people everywhere and everything else. This may be the racing version we need to see this year. I do not know.
“In theory, we can start the race, but I think the biggest question is if the organizers could stop people from going out and gathering in large crowds?” “
The 34-year-old missed last year’s race after suffering career-threatening injuries in an accident. And Froome hit the gym every day trying to replicate what he would do at this time of year in preparation for the Tour.
“Some days I even sit up to six hours on the stationary trainer – big days,” he told Kevin Pietersen on Instagram Live. “Sometimes it gets pretty boring. I’ve been through each playlist I own about 10 times each. But, yes, I’m just going through it and doing my best.
“Obviously, I’m also coming out of a big injury now. Much of the training that I have gone through to this point has already taken place indoors, so it almost kind of prepared me for this whole lockdown period and I think mentally I am obviously able to pass a little more easily. “