The latest case is a person in his 50s who works at the Campbellton Regional Hospital, Dr. Jennifer Russell told reporters at a press conference in Fredericton at 2:30 p.m.
The person is a health care professional who traveled to Quebec and did not isolate himself on his return, said Prime Minister Blaine Higgs.
The individual saw several patients over a two-week period, he said. Now the region is more at risk “because of the actions of an irresponsible individual.”
When asked if the person would be prosecuted, Russell said the case was still under investigation.
Higgs said that if charges were to be laid, they would be.
The other two cases in the region include a person in his forties and a child who attended two daycares.
Mobile tests will be set up in the Campbellton area starting Thursday, Higgs said. He encourages everyone in the region to get tested.
People can be tested even if they don’t have symptoms, said Russell.
New Brunswickers who have visited the area or been in close contact with anyone in the area should watch for symptoms, she said.
Locals should avoid close contact outside of their two-household bubbles, Russell said.
Personal services, such as hairdressers and salons, will have to be closed again, with immediate effect.
The case of someone over 90 does not concern the Campbellton Nursing Home.
Public Health did not release any information about the person, but shortly after the case was announced Tuesday afternoon, the retirement home posted a message on Facebook to reassure the spirits.
“In light of the recent announcement of a new positive case, we want to reassure you that the Campbellton Nursing Home is FREE Covid-19,” he said.
Nursing homes have been among the hardest hit by the disease in other provinces and the United States.
“Every day we keep the virus away is a victory,” said the 100-bed facility.
The province said on Tuesday that no one was hospitalized.
Regular updates to COVID-19 ended on May 22. Department of Health spokesman Bruce Macfarlane said future press conferences and press releases will only be “as needed”.
Higgs told reporters outside the Legislative Assembly on Tuesday that he did not believe the elderly patient lived in a nursing home.
“I understand they live in their own house, which is good news,” he said. “But then, this is, OK, let’s go look, how were they exposed and what were the types of scenarios that led to this exposure? “
Higgs said he did not know if the origin could be determined, but noted that hundreds of people in the area held a demonstration on May 19.
Over 400 residents of Campbellton, Listuguj and Pointe-à-la-Croix met at the bridge connecting New Brunswick and Quebec to protest against New Brunswick’s travel restrictions.
“And you know the photos I saw of this rally, social distancing was not a priority,” said Higgs.
“I hope people will continue to realize how precarious we are. We all feel good about opening up early and being in a good position in New Brunswick or Canada, but we have to realize that all of that could change overnight. ”
Higgs said he was “very concerned” about a potential pocket of cases forming in the Campbellton area.
The fact that one of the cases involves an elderly person adds to the complexity, he said.
Daycare remains closed
The Tourbillon de Soleil daycare in Balmoral, about 20 minutes southeast of Campbellton, remains closed until further notice.
It has been closed since the infected child presented on May 19, developed a fever overnight and tested positive.
About 35 people with whom the child was able to come into contact with the daycare – employees, children and their parents – were sentenced to around 14 days, the incubation period for the illness.
The children and staff at the Campbellton Bouts Choux daycare center, where the child had previously attended, until May 15, have all tested negative, said owner Cécile Castonguay.
On Tuesday, 22,920 COVID-19 tests were performed in New Brunswick and 120 people recovered from respiratory disease.