On May 7, cookbook author and recipe columnist Alison Roman attempted to shape a future in the food world without selling herself or turning into a caricature. Almost two weeks later, her bi-weekly food column for the New York Times is temporarily paused after she lambasted Chrissy Teigen and Marie Kondo’s career choices in an interview that quickly went viral.
A Times spokesman confirmed that Roman’s column was on “temporary leave.” He declined to comment further. The Daily Beast announced the news Tuesday morning.
The Times pressed the pause button on Roman’s recipes after the author started reporting on Teigen and the organization Maven Kondo in an interview with the New Consumer this month. The two objects of Roman’s anger are, as many have noted, women of color. On Teigen, Roman suggested that the model and her fellow cookbook author had sold:
She had a successful cookbook. And then it was like: Boom, line at Target. Boom, she now has an Instagram page with over a million followers, where there are only people who run a content farm for her. It horrifies me and it’s not something I want to do. I don’t aspire to that. But like, who laughs now? Because she makes a ton of [expletive] silver.
Roman then alerted readers to what she saw as the hypocrisy of Kondo’s accusation of cluttering our lives while trying to sell us more things. “Like the idea that when Marie Kondo decided to capitalize on her fame and make things you can buy, this is completely contrary to everything she ever taught you,” Roman told Dan Frommer of New Consumer’s.
The comments sparked a large social media conversation about white privilege, white feminism, lack of diversity in the food media, occasional racism, hollow excuses, women who shoot women, conspiracy theories in line, the futility of celebrity quarrels and other subjects, some obviously heavier than others.
Roman first deviated and presented what some saw as a sincere apology. But on May 11, she wrote a full-throated mea culpa this apparently helped a lot to repair his relationship with Teigen. It should be noted that Teigen said that she had “signed to produce executive” a television cooking show starring Roman. Teigen graciously accepted the apology, offering his own Twitter feed back.
” I still think you are incredibly talented. And in an industry that doesn’t really lend itself to supporting more than a handful of people at once, I feel like all we have is each other!”Teigen tweeted.
Tuesday night’s information about Roman’s leave with The Times was at the start of Twitter’s comment.
So far, Teigen has remained silent on the final chapter of the saga.
Find out more about Voraciously:
Home-made muffulettes, deep dish pizzas, breasts and more bring iconic American flavors to your table
Chrissy Teigen-Alison’s Roman debacle highlights fundamental flaws in food media
What we learned about celebrity cuisines in all these quarantine cooking videos and snapshots