Chinese authorities have quarantined 8,000 people in the northeast of the country.
Officials concerned about a resurgence of the virus have quarantined 8,000 people and reintroduced lockouts in northeast China, even as other parts of the country further loosen the restrictions.
Residents of Jilin, the second largest city in Jilin Province, have been largely banned from leaving the city, media reported after a cluster of infections was reported there and in Shulan another city under his administration. Shenyang, capital of neighboring Liaoning province, said on Saturday that anyone who has traveled there from Jilin City since April 22 would be quarantined in a hospital for three weeks.
Jilin found nearly 700 contacts of coronavirus patients for testing and quarantine, while officials in Liaoning Province found more than 1,000 contacts and about 6,500 people at high risk of infection.
China reported five new confirmed infections on Saturday, three of them locally transmitted in Jilin Province and two abroad. The country has reported more than 89,000 cases in total and 4,634 deaths.
Zhong Nanshan, respiratory disease specialist and adviser to the Chinese government, said in an interview with CNN on Saturday that, although the number of infections in China is relatively low, China still faces a “big challenge” because most of the population had not been exposed to the coronavirus and was still susceptible to infection. “It is not better than foreign countries I think at the moment,” he said.
Elsewhere in China, the Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control said on Sunday that it was no longer necessary to wear masks outside. The capital, which has not reported any new infections for 30 days, is preparing for the annual session of the National People’s Congress, a major rally that had been postponed for more than two months.
And in southern China, the governments of Hong Kong, Macao and Guangdong Province are discussing the creation of a “travel bubble” that would allow qualified residents to travel to the region without being required to quarantine.
When President Emmanuel Macron repeatedly declared ” war against the coronavirus in March, he solemnly promised that France would support “first line” health workers with “the means, the protection”.
The reality was that France was almost defenseless.
The government’s stunning policies on past pandemics had left a once formidable national stock of facial masks almost exhausted. Officials have also outsourced manufacturing capacity to replenish this stock to overseas suppliers, despite warnings since the early 2000s about the increasing risk of pandemics.
This left France – unlike Germany, its rival for European leadership – dependent on foreign factories and painfully unable to increase domestic production of face masks, test kits, ventilators and even thermometers and medicines. over-the-counter anti-fever to soothe the patient.
Today, as it began to loosen one of the most stringent locks in the world, France has become a case study of how some countries are now reconsidering their dependence on chains of Global supplies built over the past two decades on the mantra of low costs and fast delivery. Even today, France has no guarantee that it will be able to stock up enough in the coming weeks to protect itself from a possible second wave of the virus.
Louis Gautier, the former director of the The General Secretariat for Defense and National Security, a powerful inter-ministerial unit within the Prime Minister’s Office that coordinates response to large-scale crises, said: “The issue of strategic stocks and security of supply must be reconsidered. A new model must be invented. “
As states scramble to pay unemployment claims to tens of millions of Americans, a massive attack flooding unemployment agencies with fraudulent claims appears to have already siphoned millions of dollars in payments.
Secret service investigators said they had information involving a well-organized Nigerian fraud network and that stolen information such as social security numbers had enabled the network to file claims on behalf of people who, in many cases, had not lost their jobs.
Most fraud allegations to date have been concentrated in Washington State, but evidence also indicates similar attacks in Florida, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and Wyoming .
The challenge of preventing fraudulent claims has increased as the pressure to put money in the hands of the unemployed has increased. Unemployment offices accustomed to processing thousands of unemployment claims have been inundated with more than a million claims in recent months in more populous states.
The attacks, which the intelligence services say could target all states, could result in “potential losses of hundreds of millions of dollars,” according to a memo obtained from the New York Times.
This discovery added to the fear that rigged efforts by the jury to quickly distribute economic aid could be easily exploited by fraudsters. Theirs. last month documented losses of at least $ 16.9 billion due to identity theft as it attempted to distribute billions of dollars in economic stimulus checks.
Until the coronavirus pandemic, the Mongolian contortionist Uranbileg Angarag wowed Cirque du Soleil shows every night on a cruise ship, deforming his body into a ball and balancing on a vertical stick held in his mouth.
In the past 50 days, however, the 26-year-old has been trapped in a cramped cabin off the Italian coast, doing a handstand and dividing while making WhatsApp video calls and wondering when the legendary circus is will produce again.
“Fortunately, I’m used to distorting my body in small spaces,” she said from the ship where she has been stranded since the show closed in March. “I can’t wait to go back to Cirque, but we have no idea when the world will be ready to see the shows again. “
In weeks, he was forced to close 44 shows in dozens of cities, from Las Vegas to Hangzhou, China, and has temporarily laid off nearly 5,000 employees – 95% of its workforce – and stopped payments to dozens of creators of shows.
Even before the pandemic, the sprawling company battled bloating and creative fatigue after a consortium led by an American private equity firm acquired it in 2015 and accelerated global expansion fueled by debt.
Now, unsure of the timing of a coronavirus vaccine or when cities will again allow large public gatherings, some are wondering if the Circus can survive?
“No one had ever modeled what we would do if we lost 100% of our income,” said Mitch Garber, President of Cirque, compares the pandemic to the Great Depression for the live entertainment industry. “We cannot operate without fans. “
“More than anything else, this pandemic has completely, finally torn the curtain on the idea that so many officials know what they are doing,” Obama said in the first speech released online. “Many of them don’t even pretend to be in charge. “
The speeches were made as more than two-thirds of the states relaxed the restrictions considerably, leaving the nation at a perilous time. The United States already has the largest epidemic in the world, with more than 1.4 million cases and more than 88,000 deaths.
As experts continue to warn that tests must be more widely available, the Food and Drug Administration on Saturday has obtained emergency clearance for a coronavirus test kit that will allow individuals to take a nasal sample at home and send it to a laboratory. This was the second such approval, the F.D.A. did.
No one in New Zealand is exempt from the stringent measures the country has taken to reduce the risk of getting coronavirus.
Not even the country’s revered prime minister, Jacinda Ardern.
Ardern and her fiancé were first kicked out of a cafe in Wellington on Saturday, although New Zealanders are again allowed to eat in restaurants. But there were no places available at the cafe, Olive.
A Twitter user named Joey published reports of the couple’s attempt to visit the social media, writing: “Omg Jacinda Ardern has just tried to join Olive and has been rejected because she is full. Other social media users were delighted with how the situation unfolded. “Egalitarian New Zealand is real and wonderful”, Jaq Tweedi said.
But the couple were finally allowed to have dinner, and Joey released a photograph of them pay their bills.
Mrs. Ardern’s fiancé, Clarke Gayford, with whom she shares a daughter, responded in a Tweeter Saturday in the post saying, “I have to take responsibility, I’m not organized and I don’t book anywhere. He added that they were chased by the cafe “when a place became available”.
The New Zealand Herald reported that the owner of Olive, who wanted to remain anonymous, said that staff did not feel pressured when Ms. Ardern introduced himself and that he followed “all the rules”, which include maintaining a distance of one meter – just over three feet – between diners in restaurants.
The New Zealand leader has been praised for her skillful management of the pandemic, for having locked the country in the beginning of the epidemic and banned international travel. There have been 21 Coronavirus deaths in New Zealand and country passed level 2 alert on Wednesday, which means schools are allowed to reopen and residents can re-visit stores and restaurants and travel indoors the regions.
Every five days, Daniel Ordoñez opens 1,400 taps in a waterfront hotel in Barcelona, Spain, which locals call “The Sail” because of its shape.
Each tap should last about five minutes, so it takes an entire day. “It is probably the most boring part of my job, but it is necessary,” he said, to avoid a form of pneumonia that can be spread by bacteria in water: Legionnaires’ disease .
Mr. Ordoñez, who is responsible for the maintenance of the hotel, has been its only continuous occupant for two months, wandering in its ghostly rooms because of another disease which ravaged the country and the world: Covid-19.
He now lives alone on the 24th floor, which gives him a breathtaking view of the city, its beaches and the Mediterranean. “At first I thought I would be here for about two weeks,” said Mr. Ordoñez, single. “But now it’s eight o’clock, with no end in sight. “
Shi Zhengli, the Chinese virologist whose research has made her a target of Groundless theories that the coronavirus has escaped from a government laboratory in Wuhan City have released new findings after weeks spent largely hidden from the public.
Dr. Shi, a prominent researcher at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, has dismissed accusations that the virus emerged from his laboratory. The Trump administration has urged U.S. intelligence officials to seek evidence to support this unproven theory as it intensifies a public campaign to blame China for the pandemic. Intelligence agencies are skeptical of the possibility of finding such evidence and scientists say it is very likely that it was passed from animal to human in a non-laboratory environment.
Dr. Shi has been dubbed “the bat” by the Chinese media because of his years of experience studying the links between bats and viruses. As the new coronavirus epidemic broke out, it helped establish that the new virus most likely originated from a bat. But she was watched in China and abroad when people wondered if the virus came from her laboratory – intentionally or accidentally.
In an interview with An American scientist in March, Dr. Shi said that she had searched her laboratory records and found that the genetic sequence of the new coronavirus did not match any that the establishment had previously studied. In addition, she mostly kept a low profile, surfacing once on social media this month to debunk rumors that she had defected from China.
Dr. Shi’s the latest research was published on the Biorxiv.org website on Thursday as a preprint or scientific document that has not yet been peer reviewed. It explores the “evolutionary arms race” between viruses and their hosts, which, according to Dr. Shi and his colleagues, encourages the genetic diversity of viruses. The publication of the new document was first reported by the South China Morning Post.
The results reinforce the idea that the Chinese horseshoe bat is the natural host of coronaviruses such as those that cause SARS and Covid-19, the newspaper said. “Continuous surveillance of this group of viruses in bats is necessary for the prevention of the next SARS-like disease. “
Each year on May 17, Norway organizes a national celebration in honor of the signing of the Constitution in 1814, with parades in each town and village, open-air games and festive gatherings of families and friends. – a bit like July 4th in the United States. . But this year, the coronavirus has radically changed the festivities.
With a crowd limited to 50 people to prevent the spread of the virus, almost all major public events that could attract people on Constitution Day have been canceled, particularly the children’s parade in the capital, Oslo, with a marching band. normally winds the street opposite the Royal Palace in the presence of the royal family.
The palace square was closed to the public, and most of the shows were replaced by marching bands and speeches broadcast online. Some groups were still walking around the communities – but without spectators. Instead, boats will parade on the fjords and vehicles filled with people – in some places, even tractors and horse-drawn carriages – will parade through the streets. On the southwest coast, 1,000 Norwegian flags were planted in the sand, equidistant from each other to symbolize the social estrangement that citizens must follow.
At 1 p.m., the Norwegians participated in a national synchronized song of the traditional song of May 17 from their balconies, gardens and houses, or in small choirs. The king, queen and other members of the royal family appeared on their balconies to join in the singing. Several family members then took an unannounced drive through the streets of Oslo.
Speaker of Parliament Tone Troen presented the original Constitution, which takes place inside Parliament, to two students and the leader of the Oslo parade at an online event. The events of May 17 may be calm and contemplative this year, but they are no less precious, said Ms. Troen.
Prime Minister Erna Solberg posted a special welcome message on Facebook Sunday with a surprise video message from actor and former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Speaking in a shaky Norwegian, he said, “Children’s parades will be back,” echoing his famous line of films, and reminding everyone to wash their hands.
The reports were provided by Iliana Magra, Raphael Minder, Dan Bilefsky, Norimitsu Onishi, Constant Méheut, Tiffany May, Vivian Wang, Maria Abi-Habib, Henrik Pryser Libell, Mike Baker, Andrew E. Kramer, Motoko Rich, Hisako Ueno, Hikari Hida, Audra D.S. Birch, John Eligon, Michael D. Shear, Michael Levenson, Sheila Kaplan, Ernesto Londoño, Manuela Andreoni and Letícia Casado.