Why did Britain’s youngest coronavirus victim die alone?


The youngest British victim of Covid-19 told paramedics who took him to hospital that he wanted to be a veterinarian when he grew up, his family said.

They shared their sadness that Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab, who was only 13, died alone – which prompted the Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Health to wonder why his mother was not at his bedside .

A spokesperson for the Royal College said, “We don’t think it should happen. No child should die alone in the hospital. “

Ismail, who had no known underlying health conditions, suffered cardiac arrest after contracting a coronavirus. He started showing symptoms and had trouble breathing last Thursday, March 26, before being taken to King’s College Hospital in south London, where he died on Monday March 30. Ismail was put on a ventilator and caused a coma, but never recovered. His death was confirmed Tuesday evening.

In a series of statements, his family paid tribute to their “life bubble”.

Ismail, they say, had an “obsession with buses” but also “loved animals so much”. The family said, “When the paramedics came here to take him to the hospital, they asked what he wanted to be and he said,” A veterinarian. “

“He would never say no to anything his family asked of him and was so curious, always asking questions about everything and anything. He was a life bubble for the whole family, the one who gave life to the whole house, and the one who will be greatly missed. “

Ismail’s mother Sadiya and six siblings from Brixton, south London, implored the public to “stay home as much as possible, to protect the NHS and save lives.”

Ismail’s father Muhammad Abi Faakir died of cancer about five years ago.

In a statement posted on the GoFundMe website, which was created to help the family pay the funeral costs and far exceeded their goal, they said they were “heartbroken” and devastated. They added: “Unfortunately, he died … without the presence of his family and it is very painful for us as a family, especially as a mother.

“Ismail was a loving son, a brother, a nephew of our family and a friend of many who knew him. His smile was comforting and he was always gentle and kind. “

They refused to post a photo of Ismail because of “the impact it will have on us when they saw him” and said, “He leaves behind six brothers and sisters who are completely devastated and this has been made more difficult not being able to be with Ismail while he was in the hospital. “

The family, originally from Somalia, remains at home in a two-week isolation, mourners passing by the house to pay tribute to him.

The King’s College Hospital Trust could not be reached to comment on why Ismail died in the absence of at least one family member.

His isolated death raised concerns among pediatricians, who said that the guidelines for admission to intensive care units for children allowed parents to be by their side. It is unclear why this did not happen in the case of Ismail.

A spokesperson for the Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Health said, “We don’t think it should happen. We do not yet know why.

“No child should die alone in the hospital. We do not know the details of this case, but we would never want a child to die alone if it can be helped. “

Meanwhile, the family of another teenager who died of a coronavirus complained that he had been told that he “did not have to worry about this bad flu.”

Luca Di Nicola, 19, a chef, died at North Middlesex Hospital in London on March 24. His family has described him as “very healthy” with no previous medical conditions.

Italian authorities have suggested that he could have been saved had he been diagnosed earlier.

Maria Angela Lelii, deputy mayor of Nereto, the hometown of Luca’s family, told the BBC that there would be “a different conversation” if Mr. Di Nicola had returned to Italy for treatment.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here