Victoria Beckham is looking for a social media manager for her fashion brand – in the same week, she controversially put 30 staff on leave, she said today.
An announcement for the role of “managing the global strategy” was released just days before it was revealed that the former Spice Girl would take advantage of the government’s retention program to insure a quarter of its employees – despite a an astounding family fortune of £ 335 million.
Beckham, whose collection of handbags is estimated at £ 1.5 million alone, sent letters to the 30 workers explaining that they would be paid 80 percent of their wages by the government, according to Chancellor Rishi Sunak’s plan to help businesses during the pandemic.
However, an advertisement posted on LinkedIn revealed that she was trying to hire a social media manager for her troubled fashion brand, despite staff permission to save money.
Although the position’s salary is not advertised, it requires that candidates have “significant” experience in the fashion industry and be able to work with “high-level people”.
Victoria Beckham recruits new social media manager for fashion brand despite employees on leave
Although the position’s salary is not advertised, it requires that candidates have “significant” experience in the fashion industry and be able to work with “high profile people”
Sources speaking to Mail Online said longtime public relations strategist Natalie Lewis would soon leave the brand after working with Ms. Beckham for more than 12 years.
Communications manager Bella Blenkinsopp, who works for David Beckham, is also believed to be moving forward.
New appointment to replace current outgoing global social media director Sophie Dewaele.
Staff departures were earlier reported to be “blows” to the empire, although sources say the situation is far from dramatic.
A source said: ‘Natalie and Victoria remain close personal friends. And like some of the team transition out of business, they continue to support and work with Victoria and will do so in the coming months.
Initially, it was also reported that another longtime staff member, Nadine Gough, had resigned, which would not be the case.
The announcement will certainly raise more questions about Ms. Beckham’s decision to use the government system.
The former pop star has been criticized for taking advantage of the taxpayer-funded plan, rather than using her own substantial wealth.
Beckham recently bought a £ 20m penthouse with husband David in Miami, where he started his American football team.
In addition to the leave, Beckham is expected to raise staff salaries in an “improved package” by paying the remaining 20% - although she is not required to do so.
Victoria Beckham has authorized 30 employees of her struggling fashion brand – despite an astounding family fortune of £ 335 million. Pictured with husband David and daughter Harper
Marketing and customer service employees were affected, as were staff at their Mayfair store, which closed after the announcement of the lockout.
A spokeswoman for Ms. Beckham previously confirmed that staff will be on leave for two months “so far”.
MailOnline contacted their team to comment on the job advertisement.
Under this program, staff will remain employed and the fashion brand will be able to claim 80% of their salary from the government, up to £ 2,500 per month for each employee.
It could be used to cover the payroll until the end of June.
Two weeks ago, Mrs. Beckham and her ex-footballer husband David spent £ 17 million in a Miami penthouse to complete their impressive property portfolio, which includes a £ 25 million mansion in Holland Park, at West London, and £ 6 million barn conversion in the Cotswolds, where the family lived during the foreclosure.
A source close to the family told the Mail on Sunday: “One minute, she and David are posting photos of very expensive bottles of red wine on Instagram, the next where she uses the taxpayer-funded vacation plan.
“She was also seen applauding the brave workers of the NHS, but using the government scheme, she takes public money when she has hundreds of millions in the bank. It seems very ill-advised.
Ms. Beckham’s eponymous company, based in Hammersmith, west London, has not made a profit since its launch in 2008.
In 2018, it suffered losses of £ 12.3 million. The previous year, Ms. Beckham lost £ 10.3 million, but the business was supported by her 44-year-old husband.
Despite the clearly unprofitable business model, Ms. Beckham is determined to maintain the label.
Beckham is expected to raise her wages in an “improved package” by paying the remaining 20% - although she is not required to do so. Victoria Beckham store, Hong Kong
And the poor performance of the company did not prevent her and David from living an ostentatious lifestyle, much of which was revealed to their fans via social media.
In January, they were spotted drinking a £ 2,000 bottle of Romanee-Saint-Vivant Grand Cru red wine while dining at the exclusive Chez L’Ami Louis restaurant in Paris.
Ms. Beckham has a collection of Birkin handbags, which range between £ 10,000 and £ 80,000, and regularly uses private jets.
Last month, just two weeks before the lockdown, the Beckhams allegedly spent £ 100,000 on a 21st birthday for their eldest child, Brooklyn.
Rapper Stormzy performed in the lavish affair, which allegedly took place under a marquee in the garden of their Oxfordshire home near celebrity hangout Soho Farmhouse.
When the news came out, a spokesperson for Ms. Beckham said, “We are working hard to ensure the protection of our much-loved Victoria Beckham team during this volatile time by keeping our business healthy.
“After carefully evaluating all of our options, we decided to make some of the staff available on an improved package. “