The organizers of the Criterium Aalst in Belgium, scheduled to take place two days after the arrival of the Tour de France, have announced that they are canceling their 85th edition of the popular event which generally attracts the yellow jersey for some hot-tours around the town square.
On Monday, French President Emmanuel Macron announced an extension of measures to contain the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic which would ban public gatherings until at least mid-July. As the Tour de France may be on hold until August, the organizers of the post-Tour (Natourcriterium) have trouble knowing when to organize their events.
“As planned for some time, the Tour de France will not take place on the scheduled date, so the Napoleon Sports & Casino Natourcriterium in Aalst will not be able to continue on the scheduled date of Monday, July 20,” announced the race. . on his Facebook page.
“Because for the moment we have no view on a new date fixed for the Tour de France and we have no guarantee that the Natourcriterium will be able to continue in the same form as in recent years, we have decided to postpone the Natourcriterium for one year.
“Health and well-being are the most important at the moment and we hope to have another great edition next year. We also want to thank the city of Aalst, main sponsor Napoleon Sports & Casino and our other sponsors for their support of previous editions and we hope to receive you all again, in good health, I hope for the year next. “
Meanwhile, organizers of “Daags na de Tour” in Boxmeer, Netherlands, have stopped preparations, Acht van Chaam says he may need to make changes to the program, but is waiting for support of the municipality, and the Natourcriterium in Roeselare. are pending until the Tour de France dates are decided.
Thomas Verhaeghe, chairman of the organizing committee, told Sporza: “We are awaiting further developments and the decision by ASO. If the tour is postponed to a later date this summer, we will examine the situation with our sponsors to perhaps even organize our criterium in Roeselare. These are weird moments. “
Likewise, the third Na-Tour Derny race in Antwerp, won last year by cyclo-cross stars Mathieu van der Poel and Sanne Cant, is also pending.
“We will first wait and see what the National Security Council proclaims tomorrow. Only then can we begin to see if we can continue with our post-last round test. Wait and see, “said organizer Joost Van der Vliet, according to Sporza.