President Donald Trump has said he has no plans to postpone the schedule for the Republican National Convention in Charlotte until August.
“We will have the convention in late August,” Trump said in a press briefing. “I think we are going to have a big convention,” he said, adding that there was no emergency plan.
The Democrats announced earlier this week that they would delay their Milwaukee convention from July 1 to August 17.
Watch NYC first responders serenize medical workers with sirens
New York City Fire Department first responders serenade medical workers outside NYU Langone Health, a university medical center in Manhattan, on Friday evening.
Sandra Pérez Baos, postdoctoral researcher on the premises of New York University, tweeted a video of the event, which she later said was at 7:00 p.m.
Ladder trucks, rescue platforms and ambulances are lined up, emergency lights flash, sirens sound and horns sound – demonstration of appreciation for an overworked system – while medical workers wearing masks look and listen.
On Friday, the city sent an emergency alert to cell phones to ask licensed health workers to volunteer to work in medical facilities affected by coronaviruses. The death toll from the virus in the city on Saturday was nearly 1,900.
Trump warns of many deaths next week
President Donald Trump warned on Saturday that the country is headed for a difficult week.
“It will be the hardest week,” Trump said during the White House coronavirus daily media briefing. “Unfortunately there will be many deaths. “
Trump has said that allocating resources to the neediest states would result in “far fewer deaths than if it were not done.”
“In some cases, we tell the governors that we cannot go because we do not think you need it and we think another place needs it. And so far we’ve been right about this and we will continue to do so, “said Trump.
Almost all states are running out of emergency resources to fight the pandemic. Trump has been criticized for directing resources to politically valuable states like Florida rather than prioritizing the hardest hit areas like New York, where ventilators are expected to run out in a matter of days and hospitals are already running out of personal protective equipment.
New Jersey mayor badly affected by coronavirus says he can’t compete with New York
The mayor of a New Jersey town that has been hit hard by coronavirus says his community needs the same supplies and equipment as other hotspots but lacks “the power or resources to compete with New York.”
Newark Mayor Ras Baraka told MSNBC, “We shouldn’t be competing in the market for tests, dresses and masks during this difficult time. “
“I believe there has to be a national response, a uniform national response, so that everyone can get a tally of what they need resources for, and people need these resources,” said Baraka, whose the city of around 280,000 people has a median. household income of around $ 35,000 and a poverty rate of 28%.
Essex County, where Newark is located, has 3,584 positive coronavirus cases and 155 related deaths, according to the New Jersey Department of Health.
“We have a lot of people who are not tested, people depend on 911, call 911, crush 911 and the hospital,” said Baraka. “We are also treating emergency rooms like a primary care doctor, which has compounded these problems in these communities. “
Cases in the United States now exceed 300,000, deaths exceed 8,000
The total number of coronavirus cases in the United States has risen to over 300,000, with the number of deaths exceeding 8,000.
New York State has the highest number of cases in the country with 113,704. New Jersey is second, with more than 34,000.
The two states also have the highest number of deaths in the country. New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy said on Saturday that in the past 24 hours the state has left 200 more dead, bringing the total to 846.
More than 3,500 people died from the virus in New York.
The United States totals 300,092 cases and 8,078 deaths.
Photo: A flight for a passenger
Over 150 crew members tested positive on the USS Theodore Roosevelt, whose captain was removed from office
More than 150 crew members of a US Navy aircraft carrier whose captain has been relieved of his duties after expressing concerns about the coronavirus have tested positive.
The U.S. Navy said in a press statement on Saturday that 44% of the crew of the USS Theodore Roosevelt had been tested for the virus. The results came back positive for 155 crew members. The ship has a crew of nearly 5,000 people.
More than 1,500 sailors have been displaced ashore.
“As testing continues, the ship will keep enough sailors on board to maintain essential services and sanitize the ship in port,” said the Navy. “There was no hospitalization. “
Captain Brett Crozier was relieved of his duties on Thursday after expressing concerns about a coronavirus outbreak on his ship in a letter which was released to the media.
Six-year-old “cystic fibrosis warrior” celebrates recovery from COVID-19
A 6-year-old boy from Tennessee living with cystic fibrosis survived his battle with COVID-19 after being diagnosed with the disease last month.
“I am a CF warrior and I beat COVID-19! Joseph Bostain said in a viral video posted on his mother’s Facebook this week.
Joseph is one of more than 3,000 people in the state of Tennessee who tested positive for the coronavirus.
People with underlying medical conditions such as cystic fibrosis, which cause persistent lung infections and limit the ability to breathe over time, are more vulnerable to COVID-19.
Sabrina Bostain, Joseph’s mother, documented her son’s recovery in a series of Facebook posts as Joseph spent weeks in quarantine at home after falling down with a fever and cough. He also spent time in a hospital.
In the video announcing his recovery, Joseph thanked everyone who prayed for him and sent him cards and gifts while he was fighting the coronavirus.
Puerto Rico discovers protective power cache in the middle of COVID-19
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico – Alleged mismanagement of essential supplies during Hurricane Maria has proven to be a boon for Puerto Rico as it battles an increase in coronavirus cases.
Health Secretary Lorenzo González said on Saturday officials had discovered a cache of emergency personal protective equipment at a hospital on the neighboring island of Vieques that has remained closed since the Category 4 storm struck the American territory in September 2017.
He said the equipment includes face masks, gloves, gowns and face shields that were in good condition and would be distributed to health facilities.
Puerto Rico has reported 18 deaths from COVID-19, including one from a nurse, and more than 450 confirmed cases, including several police who join health workers to demand more personal protective equipment.
The discovery of Vieques has outraged many people on an island that is still struggling to recover from Maria and a series of strong earthquakes that have struck the southern region of Puerto Rico in recent months. González said he had ordered an investigation to find out why the supplies had been abandoned in Vieques.
New Jersey leaves nearly 850 dead, a hundred more than in the September 11 attacks
New Jersey lost nearly 100 more people to the coronavirus pandemic than it did in the September 11 terrorist attacks, the governor said on Saturday at a news conference.
In the past 24 hours, 200 people in the state have died from the virus, bringing the total death toll to 846. In the attack on the World Trade Center in New York, New Jersey lost 750 residents.
“We lost almost 100 more of our New Jersey compatriots because of COVID-19 than during the September 11 attacks,” said Governor Phil Murphy. “This pandemic is writing one of the greatest tragedies in the history of our state and just as we pledged to never forget those lost on September 11, we must pledge to never forget those who we are losing because of this pandemic. “
The governor then held a brief moment of silence.
New Jersey, the second most affected state in the pandemic, now has 34,124 confirmed cases of coronavirus.
Murphy also announced that he and State Police Colonel Patrick Callahan are giving cities and counties the option to ban rental for seasonal tenants and passing guests who travel to the state to escape the pandemic. .
“Social distancing does not work by moving to the shore,” said the governor. tweeted.