Four-time Tour de France winner Chris Froome awaits an announcement on the race on Wednesday.
The British pilot Team Ineos, 34, published on social networks: ” And There you go! Big news from the Tour today! “
The largest cycling event is expected to be postponed following the French government’s extension of the ban on mass gatherings due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The ASO race organizers have been contacted for comments.
French President Emmanuel Macron said on Monday that restrictions on public events would continue until mid-July.
The race, won last year by teammate Ineos de Froome, Egan Bernal, will run from June 27 to July 19.
Froome is slated to return to this year’s Tour, which is due to start in Nice, after missing last year’s race following a high-speed crash in which he broke his neck, the femur, elbow, hip and ribs.
Colombian Bernal won last year’s race following a battle with Briton Geraint Thomas, who won the 2018 edition.
Thomas said he hoped the Tour could be reorganized later in the summer.
“This is the pinnacle of cycling,” he said. “He represents sport and that is certainly what keeps me going at the moment.
“You have just achieved this goal. It’s difficult when you don’t know when it’s going to be to try to stay in that positive frame of mind.
“In my mind, I just think that the Tour is definitely going to take place. I don’t know when, but I hope so. It would be great for everyone. “
On April 10, the governing body of cycling put staff on leave and cut executive salaries in the wake of the global pandemic.
The International Cycling Union has blamed the postponement of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, as well as the loss of a large part of its annual schedule, for the move.
The Giro d’Italia has already been canceled, as have the one-day “monument” races: Milan-San Remo, Tour des Flandres and Paris-Roubaix.
As it stands, the annual World Road Championships are scheduled to take place in Switzerland in late September.