Toronto’s bright lines light up with COVID-19 complaints – The Loppy

0
42


Views from 6nitch?

Torontonians seem comfortable enough to file a complaint with the city for non-compliance with COVID-19, according to the data Toronto Sun suggest.

The city received 3,422 COVID-related complaints between April 17 and April 27 – 65%, or 2,225, were filed through the city’s new online reporting portal. The remaining 35% was sent by phone via 311.

The tendency to anonymously report online is common across all four call categories – non-compliance with physical remoteness, non-essential opening of the workplace, removal of park barriers and non-essential construction.

Physical distancing is the most popular complaint, with 802 reports filed during this period.

The initial reaction to the online brawl form was negative when it launched on April 17.

Michael Bryant, President of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, told the Toronto Sun’s Jenny Yuen, April 23, said that cookie lines are “bad government policy” and tend to be used to settle issues or for minor litigation rather than reporting actual offenses.

“It is an outlet for rage and anxiety that ends up putting pressure on the police and municipal officers to exceed the prices instead of educating the public and warning people,” he said. -he declares.

“The end result is that our response is based on fear rather than science, changing their behaviors based on health expertise.”

THE TALE OF THE BAND

Toronto Non-Compliance Report Statistics, April 17-27
(Source: City of Toronto)

Total number of calls via 311: 1,197 (35%)
Total number of calls via Online: 2,225 (65%)

Failure to respect physical distance
311 origin: 802 (38%)
Online: 1,321 (62%)
Total: 2,213

Non-essential workplace open
311 origin: 241 (28%)
Online: 607 (72%)
Total: 848

Removal of park barriers
311 origin: 42 (44%)
Online: 53 (56%)
Total: 95

Non-essential construction:
311 origin: 112 (31%)
Online: 244 (69%)
Total: 356

[email protected]
On Twitter: @bryanpassifiume



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here