Toronto Hospital reports COVID-19 outbreak in intensive care, Etobicoke nursing home sees dramatic increase in deaths from COVID-19;

0
118


The latest news on coronaviruses from Canada and around the world on Tuesday (this file will be updated throughout the day). Web links to longer stories if available:

8 a.m. A Toronto hospital has reported an outbreak of COVID-19 in its intensive care unit.

The St. Joseph’s Health Center says that a patient who was recently in the unit tested positive for COVID-19.

The hospital said two staff members who had been in contact with the patient tested positive over the weekend and are doing well at home.

7:30 am: A retirement home for the elderly in Toronto says a total of 25 residents have died from COVID-19.

Evelyn MacDonald, executive director of the Eatonville Care Center in the west end of the city, said the number jumped on Monday due to new Toronto Public Health reporting guidelines.

She says the deaths of nine residents for unknown reasons can now be attributed to COVID-19.

MacDonald says there are 49 confirmed cases of COVID-19 at home with six more test results pending.

7:24 a.m. Global inventories edged up Tuesday after President Trump said his administration was nearing completion of a recovery plan for the U.S., where pandemic coronavirus controls have crippled some parts of the economy.

Dow Jones industry average futures rose about 1%, suggesting that US blue chip stocks will rebound after the New York opening bell. The Stoxx Europe 600 pan-continental index was up 0.6%, while the main stock indexes in the Asia-Pacific region closed higher.

Trump said on Monday that he hoped to reopen the country “ahead of schedule,” although he did not offer a specific deadline for resuming normal operations. The president is about to announce a new task force on Tuesday that will focus on the economic effects of the coronavirus and explore options for breaking the deadlock.

6:37 a.m .: A shortage of new hotspots in the coronavirus pandemic appears to be on Tuesday, fueling a debate on how quickly authorities can start reducing social restrictions and reopening economies.

While the spread of the virus in places like Japan and Indonesia remains a concern, nowhere is the explosion of hospitalizations and deaths that have been seen previously in China, southern Europe and parts the United States.

Elsewhere, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended the world’s largest coronavirus lockdown on Tuesday to prevent the peak of the epidemic, with officials rushing to make up for lost time as the number of cases exceeded 10,000 .

Modi ordered the 1.3 billion people in India to stay largely indoors until May 3, with some restrictions relaxed by April 20 to help the poor depend on daily wages.

5:55 a.m .: The Tour de France will not start as originally planned, as French President Emmanuel Macron canceled all busy public events until mid-July in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The organizers of the biggest cycling event say that it is now impossible for the three-week race to start on June 27 in the city of Nice on the Riviera as planned, and add that it is not clear if the race will be completely removed from the calendar for this year.

4:30 am: President Donald Trump has claimed “full” authority to decide how and when to reopen the economy after weeks of tough social distancing directives to fight the new coronavirus. But the governors of both sides were quick to push back, noting that they have primary responsibility for ensuring public safety in their states and would decide when it is safe to start a return to normal operations.

Trump would not provide details on the source of his claimed power, which he said, despite constitutional limits, was absolute.

“When someone is president of the United States, authority is complete,” Trump said in the White House. “The governors know this. “

4:20 a.m .: Quebec continues to lead the country in death and COVID-19 infections, with many of the victims being seniors.

Dr. Theresa Tam, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, says outbreaks in long-term care homes are the most crucial COVID-19 problem that has occurred in the last two weeks of the pandemic.

Tam said that “almost half” of the 724 deaths from COVID-19 in the country at noon Monday were in long-term care, where aging and vulnerable residents live and eat close to each other and where staff have been a carrier or infected. Read the full story of the Star here.

4:00 am: There are 26,669 confirmed and suspected cases in Canada.

  • Quebec: 13,557 confirmed (including 360 deaths, 1,982 resolved)
  • Ontario: 8,486 confirmed and presumptive cases (including 343 deaths, 3,357 resolved)
  • Alberta: 1,732 confirmed (including 46 deaths, 877 resolved)
Get the latest news in your inbox

Never miss the latest Star news, including up-to-date coronavirus coverage, with our free email newsletters

Register now

  • British Columbia: 1,490 confirmed (including 69 deaths, 905 resolved)
  • Nova Scotia: 474 confirmed (including 3 deaths, 97 resolved)
  • Saskatchewan: 300 confirmed (including 4 deaths, 178 resolved), 2 presumptive
  • Manitoba: 229 confirmed (including 4 deaths, 99 resolved), 17 presumptive
  • Newfoundland and Labrador: 244 confirmed (including 3 deaths, 133 resolved)
  • New Brunswick: 116 confirmed (of which 74 resolved)
  • Prince Edward Island: 25 confirmed (of which 23 resolved)
  • Canadian returnees: 13 confirmed
  • Yukon: 8 confirmed (including 6 resolved)
  • Northwest Territories: 5 confirmed (including 1 resolved)
  • Nunavut: No confirmed cases

9:22 p.m .: Fifteen residents of Anson Place Care Center died from COVID-19 as the management and staff of the long-term care home in Hagersville, Ontario, continue to face a coronavirus outbreak.

Anson Place executive director Lisa Roth said 36 long-term care residents and 19 in seniors’ residences had a positive result, as well as 30 quarantined staff no longer working in the facility.

The 55 residents who contracted COVID-19 represent more than half of the 101 people who took up residence in Anson Place before the pandemic.

9:05 p.m .: The Hellenic Home for the Aged, which has two long-term care facilities, reported 15 cases of COVID-19 among residents of its Scarborough facility on Monday.

No cases have been reported at its Toronto location, where there are 81 beds, and no deaths have been reported at the Scarborough location, which has 128 beds.

Hellenic Home said in a statement that residents who test positive are doing well, adding that it “closely monitors all residents and staff with symptoms while we wait for the test results.”

On Monday 8:30 p.m .: A nursing home in Etobicoke has reported a dramatic increase in the number of residents who died from the new coronarvirus.

The Eatonville health center said on Monday that the number of deaths related to COVID-19 is now 25 – on Sunday it reported an additional death, bringing the total to 14.

In a media statement on Monday, Executive Director Evelyn MacDonald said the increase in the number of deaths from COVID-19 reflects changes in provincial testing criteria.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here