The man who “started the Gay Village of Manchester” died after developing a coronavirus – tributes to “great showman” Glenn Stevens


Tributes were paid to a legend in the Manchester gay scene who died after being tested positive for the coronavirus.

Glenn Stevens died Monday, just two days after developing symptoms of Covid-19 while being treated in hospital after a stroke.

Nicknamed “Mr. Manchester, “the 74-year-old man was a popular figure in the city’s Gay Village, having owned a number of pubs and clubs, including New York New York.

Stevens’ brother David Green described him as a “great showman” and said that he was “heartbroken” by his death.

Glenn Stevens started a series of places around the gay village of Manchester – he died in hospital after contracting a coronavirus following a stroke

He added: “Glenn was warm, loving and caring.

“He was a great artist. He had a toxic tongue and told people what he really thought, but people liked him. “

Raised in Blackley, Mr. Stevens worked as a nightclub DJ before going to his own room, Samantha’s, in Manchester city center, in the 1970s.

After owning the Shamrock pub in Ancoats, he rented a building on Bloom Street.

It was to become known as New York New York.

“He wanted to manage a place himself,” said Green.

“He was openly gay himself, but the scene was hidden before. New York New York changed this great moment »

“There were no clubs at the time, so he started the Gay Village. It was no longer like it is today.

“He was openly gay himself, but the scene was hidden before that. New York New York changed that time. “

Stevens later owned a number of other locations in the city, including The Thompson Arms at Sackville Street, Strawberries and Maxwells at Deansgate.

“He had four or five clubs at the time,” said Green. “New York New York was her baby.

“He played there as a friend on a Friday and a Sunday. It was always packed. “

New York New York in Bloom Street, Manchester

Mr. Stevens finally handed over the reins about 15 years ago, but his legacy continues.

Indeed, New York New York still exists today and remains a popular nightclub for revelers.

In the past 12 months, Mr. Stevens, who lived in Prestwich, suffered a number of strokes as his health began to deteriorate.

After being recently admitted to North Manchester General Hospital, he was transferred to the specialist stroke unit of Fairfield General Hospital.

But while he was in hospital, he contracted pneumonia and then a coronavirus.

Green said he was “shaken” when a doctor called him to report the news.

Recently sick with sepsis, he was warned not to visit his brother as he was also considered to be at risk.

Unfortunately, Mr. Stevens died on Monday.

His funeral took place the next day, although only a handful of people were allowed to attend due to social distancing.

“It was terrible,” said Green. “No one can come and talk to me or share their Glenn stories in person.

“A few weeks ago, I was one of those people who thought that the whole coronavirus problem was out of proportion.

“Glenn didn’t have to die, but it’s just one stat among all the others who are dead now. People have to start taking this seriously.

“The coronavirus stole my brother from me. If people don’t take this seriously, they could also lose loved ones. “


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here