The Kennedy family remembers Maeve McKean, son after a boat accident


Members of the Kennedy family paid tribute to Maeve Kennedy McKean on Saturday as a devoted mom with infectious laughter and overflowing energy hours after her research and that of her 8-year-old son were suspended.

“It’s been over 24 hours and the chances of survival are incredibly low,” her husband David McKean wrote on Facebook on Friday. “It is clear that Maeve and Gideon have died. “

McKean, 40, is the granddaughter of former US Attorney General, Senator Robert F. Kennedy. She and her son Gideon disappeared Thursday while canoeing in Chesapeake Bay, near her mother’s waterfront home on Shady Side, Maryland. Coast Guard officials announced Friday evening that the search for the couple had been suspended after discovering their capsized canoes hundreds of miles away, McKean wrote.

“My heart is crushed, but we will try to invoke the grace of God and the strength that we have to honor the hope, the energy and the passion that Maeve and Gideon put forward in the world”, a said McKean’s mother, former lieutenant-governor Kathleen Kennedy. Townsend said in a statement according to CNN. “My family thanks everyone for the outpouring of love and prayers as we cry and try to endure this devastating loss. “

McKean, a human rights lawyer and executive director of the Global Health Initiative at Georgetown University, is described as a practical mom and a darling member of the Kennedy family on social media.

In the images published by David, she is seen cuddling with her three young children, Gideon, Toby, 2 1/2 years old and Gabriella, 7 years old, running in a race and smiling for the camera alongside her husband and of his friends.

“Maeve turned 40 in November and she was everything to me. She was my best friend and my soul mate, ”wrote McKean. “You could hear Maeve’s laughter a block away – and she laughed a lot. She was magic – with endless energy to invent games for our children, to undertake another project at work or in our community, and to spend time with our friends. “

Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean, seen here with her husband David McKean and his family, disappeared with her son Gideon Joseph Kennedy McKean in Maryland.
Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean, seen here with her husband David McKean and his family, disappeared with her son Gideon Joseph Kennedy McKean in Maryland.Getty Images; Splash News

He described Gideon as wise beyond his years – an avid reader, but “incredibly social, athletic, and courageous.”

“He was deeply compassionate, refusing to sing children’s songs if they contained a suspicion of animals or people being treated cruelly,” McKean wrote. “He hated that I accidentally dropped a bad word. “

Both mother and son inherited Kennedy’s work ethic and athleticism, said McKean.

“She landed once in Washington after a 30 hour trip from Asia, then took a taxi directly to the pool to play with our children,” he recalls Maeve.

Gideon, meanwhile, “played all the sports he could, complaining that even though he often played six days a week, there was still this seventh day, and why hadn’t I signed it up for something else, ”wrote his father. .

Condolences poured in from other members of the famous family after the search was suspended.

“Maeve was my sister growing up. I cannot imagine my childhood or adulthood without it. She will live forever in a special place in my heart, enlivened by Gideon’s sweet smile, ”wrote her cousin, Kick Kennedy, daughter of Robert F. Kennedy Jr., on Instagram.

American representative Joe Kennedy III tweeted: “We love you Maeve. We love you Gideon. Our family lost two of the brightest lights. Grateful for the prayers. Hold your loved ones firmly. “

The Kennedy-McKeans were quarantined for coronavirus in an empty house owned by Townsend when they disappeared at around 4:30 p.m. Thursday, according to McKean.

The children were playing in the front yard when the couple “got into a canoe for the sole purpose of recovering the ball” that had rolled in the water, he wrote.

“The cove is protected, with much quieter wind and water than in the great Chesapeake,” said McKean. “About 30 minutes later, they were spotted by a spectator of the land, who saw them far from shore and called the police. After this last observation, they were not seen again. “


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here