Updated at 6 p.m .: This has been updated to reflect the latest extension for home shelter orders in Dallas County. It will be updated.
Hours after Dallas County Commissioners extended a declaration of disaster until May 20, the county’s highest elected official announced on Twitter that the so-called “home safety rules” would continue until as of April 30.
The late afternoon tweet is a reversal after county judge Clay Jenkins stressed on Friday morning that the stringent restrictions he first established last month and adopted by other large counties would be necessary for at least 60 days based on the advice of hospitals and health experts.
Jenkins did not immediately return a request for comment Friday evening.
A spokesperson said Jenkins wants Dallas County traffic restrictions aligned with Governor Greg Abbott’s order, which expires on April 30.
Based on the extension of the catastrophe statement issued today, I am extending the Dallas County order for Safer at Home until April 30. The disaster declaration is necessary to provide the tools to guide you through this. Safer at Home orders are the rules we ask of you.
– Clay Jenkins (@JudgeClayJ) April 3, 2020
Jenkins said in later tweets that he would reconsider the length of the extended home stay order towards the end of the month.
Republican Commissioner J.J. Koch said The Dallas Morning News On Tuesday, he will press Jenkins to consult the entire Commissioners’ tribunal before extending the restrictions.
“We’re going to have a very clear idea of how much longer we have to do on April 30,” said Koch.