The conspiracy theory against 5G coronavirus is dangerous false nonsense, says UK

0
74


LONDON (Reuters) – A conspiracy theory that links 5G mobile telecommunications masts to the spread of the new coronavirus is dangerous and completely false false news, Britain said on Saturday after masts in several parts of the country were burned.

Pedestrians walk past an advertisement promoting the 5G data network in a mobile phone store in London, Britain, January 28, 2020. REUTERS / Toby Melville

Asked by a journalist about the so-called “theory” that 5G telecommunications masts could play a role in the spread of the disease, British Minister Michael Gove said: “These are just nonsense, dangerous nonsense too . “

Mobile phone masts have been vandalized in recent days and telecommunications staff have been mistreated in Birmingham in central England and Merseyside in the north of England which has hampered connectivity to a when people depend on it more than ever.

Arson in a Birmingham tower belonging to BT (BT.L), Britain’s largest telecommunications company, has caused significant damage. It provided 2G, 3G and 4G services to thousands of people, but did not have 5G capacity, the company said.

NHS England National Medical Director Stephen Powis said the idea of ​​the 5G conspiracy was fake news without any scientific backing that could jeopardize the emergency response to the epidemic.

“The history of 5G is complete and complete, it’s nonsense, it’s the worst kind of fake news,” said Powis. “The reality is that mobile phone networks are absolutely essential for all of us.”

“It is also the telephone networks that are used by our emergency services and our health workers and I am absolutely indignant, absolutely disgusted that people are taking action against the very infrastructure that we need to respond to this health emergency Said Powis. .

A lobby group for UK mobile operators – including EE, O2, Vodafone and Three – said it was aware of false rumors linking 5G to the epidemic and that telecommunications workers had been threatened.

Vodafone, the second largest mobile operator in the world, said the attacks were now a matter of national security.

“This suggests that some people may want to harm the very networks that provide essential connectivity to emergency services, the NHS and the rest of the country during this difficult lockdown,” said British boss Nick Jeffery.

He described his engineers as heroes and urged people not to spread the “completely baseless” stories online.

Report by Guy Faulconbridge and Kate Holton, edited by Christina Fincher

Our standards:Principles of the Thomson Reuters Trust.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here