“Staff picked up the phone and we each had a chance to say goodbye”: family grief as sister dies from coronavirus


A family recounted the heartbreaking moment when they had to say goodbye to a woman who died from a coronavirus.

Lindsay Marshall of Rochdale passed away two weeks after being admitted to hospital on Saturday

She was 44 years old.

Her sister Karen said that Lindsay, who had thyroid problems and asthma, became self-isolated after developing symptoms of Covid-19.

However, on March 22, she began to feel sick and was taken to Fairfield General Hospital in Bury.

Three days later, she was sedated and transferred to the intensive care unit at Royal Oldham Hospital.

Just before the sedation, Lindsay texted her sister and it was the last she heard from her.

Karen, devastated, told our sister the title Lancs Live: “She was self-isolated at home for a week on antibiotics and on the Friday before her hospital stay, she said she was feeling better.

Lindsay Marshall, left, lived in Rochdale

“On Saturday, I left a few purchases on the doorstep and I backed away and we chatted.

“On Sunday morning, she was having trouble breathing and was taken to Fairfield Hospital. “

Upon arrival, Lindsay tested positive for coronavirus.

Karen, 42, added, “Tuesday night she said she was going to be sedated and that she was scared.

“I told her everything was going to be fine and that was the last message she sent. “

Although the nature of the virus often means families are unable to say goodbye to loved ones, NHS staff have made this possible for Lindsay’s family.

Karen explained, “She was sedated and she didn’t know she was alone.

“The staff kept taking the phone to the bed so we could talk to her. A nurse brushed her hair and braided it. They watched her.

“The day they turned off the machine, the staff picked up the phone and we each had the opportunity to say goodbye. “

Lindsay, who grew up in Bacup, held two jobs – she was care coordinator at Go To Doc for seven years and sales operations analyst at ADI for nine years.

Former Fearns high school student leaves behind father, Alan Marshall, mother, Glenys Marshall and partner Roger, and sister Karen.

She will also be missed by Karen’s children – Charlie, 15, Lewis, 10, and Georgia, 8.

Her mother, Glenys, said: “We will miss Lindsay very much and she was greatly appreciated by mom, dad, Karen, Roger, Gareth, Charlie, Lewis and Georgia. “

Karen has described the past fortnight as “the two worst weeks of her life” and finds it hard to accept her sister’s departure.

However, she refuses to dwell on the fact that Covid-19 is responsible for his death and instead wants to celebrate his life.

She said: ” [I] I did not think in a million years that at the age of 42 I should write about the fact that my sister is no longer with us, I would not even have thought about it two weeks ago before this terrible virus does not take over!

“Anyway, I’m not going to dwell on what stole it, I’m going to celebrate all of the incredible people that Linzi was fortunate to have in his life.

“I have had the most beautiful messages and conversations from the most beautiful people in the worst two weeks of my life and I want to thank each of you for the lovely kind words you said.

“Linzi was truly blessed to have you all and we, as a family, were fortunate to have him for his 44th birthday, especially his nephews and nieces who loved his aunt Linzi so much.

“She was a kind and caring sister and aunt who would do anything for anyone. “

Karen encourages members of the public to stay home to prevent other families from losing loved ones due to the virus.

The mom of three added, “When we all get through this lockdown, we will come together and celebrate her life, until then, please stay safe, I don’t want your families to experience this grief.” “

Drop a heart on our special gratitude card to show your support for our NHS heroes

“I must add that the ICU nurses and doctors at Oldham were amazing, I couldn’t have asked for more. Thanks to everyone who works for the NHS. “

At least 246 people with coronavirus have now died in hospitals in Greater Manchester.

The death toll in the region has increased by 23 deaths in 24 hours, data from the NHS England released today (Monday) showed.

Karen encouraged all of Lindsay’s friends and family to light a candle in her memory at 9:00 p.m. Sunday, April 5.

She was inundated with condolences and photos because many people took the opportunity to pay tribute to Lindsay.

Karen said, “Lots of people have posted messages. It was a chance for everyone to be together in their thoughts because they cannot be in person.

“Everyone will remember her strange accent – when we lived in Rossendale and then moved to Rochdale – her laughter and she said it as it was.

“I was overwhelmed by the tributes. “

Funeral arrangements are underway, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Lindsay’s family will hold a memorial service after the lock is released, where family and friends are invited to celebrate her life.

A GoFundMe page was created in memory of Lindsay to raise funds for NHS Charities Together. To visit the page, click here.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here