Scarborough long-term care home reports 8 COVID-19 deaths

0
88


TORONTO –
Eight residents of a long-term care home run by the city of Scarborough have now died from a COVID-19 outbreak at the facility, public health officials say.

The eight patients resided in the Seven Oaks long-term care home, located near Neilson and Ellesmere roads.

Two of the deaths were confirmed on March 26 and Toronto Public Health told CP24 on Wednesday that three of the six new deaths had just been reported overnight.

Lenore Bromley, spokesperson for Toronto Public Health, said at 10:00 am on Wednesday that there were 23 confirmed cases of the virus at the facility, including 14 residents and nine staff.

“We extend our deepest condolences to the family and friends of these people during this difficult time,” said Bromley in a statement.

The news comes as two other deaths were reported at the Pinecrest Nursing Home in Bobcaygeon, bringing the total number of deaths related to this facility to 15, including 14 residents and a spouse.

The operators of Anson Place, a long-term care home in Hagersville, Ontario, confirmed on Wednesday that three residents have died as a result of a virus outbreak.

They added that 11 of the 19 residents of the facility tested positive for COVID-19.

“Our home follows all relevant protocols, including active testing, social isolation and isolation when necessary,” said Lisa Roth, executive director of the facility, in a written statement sent to CP24.

The province said Wednesday that there are currently 30 COVID-19 outbreaks in long-term care homes in Ontario.

An outbreak is defined as a confirmed positive case in a resident or a member of staff.

“We are very concerned about the outbreaks in long-term care homes. This is a very, very vulnerable group of people we absolutely must protect, “said Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott on Wednesday.

“We now have very strict requirements for no visitors, except for palliative purposes, that staff are monitored daily and that residents are always screened with some of our tests that occur for people who look good. . “

Premier Doug Ford said earlier this week that the province will spare no expense to protect older residents of Ontario.

“We are doing everything we can to make sure we protect the most vulnerable seniors,” said Premier Doug Ford earlier this week. “I just wish we had a crystal ball a month ago, a month and a half ago, to see where it was going but everything is on deck.” I won’t spare a penny. “

– With files from The Canadian Press

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here