Sarnians Must Take This Virus Seriously, Says Son Of Woman Killed By COVID-19


Troy Shantz

On the last call, Charlotte Jones had with her son Chuck Mills all she could talk about was how much she loved her family.

“She called to reassure me that she was fine,” said Mills. “She could have lived another 10 years, easily. She went from healthy to dead in three days. “

Charlotte Jones died on March 31, one of eight COVID-19 deaths in Sarnia-Lambton to date, and one of four Landmark Village residents who have died from the virus.

Jones is survived by four children, nine grandchildren and seven great grandchildren, and is survived by two brothers, Bob and Jim Gladwish, Mills told the Journal.

She was 88 years old.

“The only thing I can say the most about my mother is her faith. His faith in God, ”he said.

Jones led a quiet life at the Sarnia retirement home. She loved music and social activities there, and spent a large part of her time at St. Paul’s Anglican in Point Edward. She often knitted items for church bazaars, he said.

She loved her family very much and looked forward to visits from great grandchildren and summer barbecues. She also loved watching her grandson, figure skater Michael Marinaro, participate in competitions.

“Michael used to make him FaceTime at least once a week, if not twice a week. He was very, very close to her, “said Mills.

The number of residents and workers at COVID-19-confirmed Landmark Village Home for the Elderly reached 20 by Monday, a quarter of all known cases in Sarnia-Lambton.

Fourteen residents have contracted the virus. Five are hospitalized and five are treated in their suites.

Mills said staff at Landmark had limited all visits to nearly a month before his mother fell ill.

“They were with us about my mother. They did everything right, I think, ”he said. “They definitely had the best interests of all residents in mind.”

The conversations he had with his mother on the Sunday before his death looked different, he recalls. She was out of breath and did not look well, but tried to reassure her family, he said.
A phone call with the nurse quickly painted a darker picture, he added.

That night, after telling a nurse how much she loved her family, she asked for a glass of water. When the nurse returned, she was gone, he said.

Mills said his mother’s death underscores the need for everyone to heed health officials’ warnings to stay at home, maintain social distance, and obey other security restrictions in place.

“These people who don’t get it have to get it,” he said.

“You can’t get closer to home than what just happened. If you think you can survive this thing, all the better for you. But look at all the other people you touch. “


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here