Royal POLL: should Prince Harry and Meghan Markle be stripped of their official titles? | Royal | New

0
365


Express.co.uk readers can vote in our poll on whether the Duke and Duchess of Sussex should be stripped of their official titles. It happens as Meghan and Harry start their new lives in the United States away from the royal family.

The Sussexes plunged the monarchy into crisis when they revealed their intention to step back as members of royal senior management in an explosive statement in January.

The announcement prompted the Queen to hold a summit in Sandringham with Prince Charles, Prince William and Harry.

The couple wanted to play a double role: supporting the queen and earning their own money.

But the plan was deemed unworkable amid fears that they would be accused of taking advantage of their royal status.

Meghan and Harry officially ended their royal duties on March 31.

They will now be known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex – but will not use their HRH.

The couple signed their last post on Sussex Royal Instagram with their first names, suggesting that they are likely to be called Meghan and Harry.

In their farewell message, they said, “As we can all feel, the world at the moment looks extraordinarily fragile.

READ MORE: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s hidden detail in the last royal message

“Thank you to this community – for the support, inspiration and shared commitment for the good of the world. We look forward to reconnecting you soon. You were awesome!

“Until then, take good care of yourself and others.”

As part of their Megxit deal, the couple were forced to abandon their Sussex Royal brand which was used for their Instagram and website.

They delayed the revelation of their new brand, a spokesperson said they wanted to keep the focus on the global response to the coronavirus pandemic.

They are also repaying the 2.4 million pounds of taxpayers’ money used to renovate their Windsor Frogmore Cottage.

Meghan and Harry were living on Vancouver Island in Canada, but are now based in Los Angeles.

They should make millions, but Charles should continue to offer private financial support.

Meghan has already returned to comedy with a Disney film, and Harry gave a speech in February at a JP Morgan event in Miami.

A Sussex spokeswoman said privately funded security arrangements had been made, but it was unclear if this was in addition to the Metropolitan Police protection officers.

The couple will retain their royal patronage, but Harry’s military appointments will be suspended for the next 12 months.

Harry remains sixth on the throne and their son Archie is seventh.

The door remained open for the couple, with an assessment of the situation which should take place in a year.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here