Retired general practitioner who returned to work to help people die after contracting a coronavirus


A dedicated general practitioner who stopped working less than a month ago because of his risk of contracting a coronavirus died after being tested positive for the killer virus.

Fayaz Ayache, a 76-year-old grandfather from Raydon, Suffolk, retired two years ago but returned to work “a few days a week” as a general practitioner with North Clacton Medical Group shortly after because he wanted to help people.

His family said he “felt it was his duty to help” people but he stopped working about three and a half weeks ago because of the risk of coronavirus, said his eldest daughter Layla Ayache .

Dr. Ayache was transported by ambulance to Ipswich Hospital on April 2, where he was diagnosed with bilateral pneumonia and a coronavirus and died six days later.

Layla, 35, said she did not know where her father had contracted the virus, but thought he may have seen people again for medical advice.

Dr Fayez Ayache died at Ipswich hospital
Dr Fayez Ayache died at Ipswich hospital

Speaking of her father, who also ran an ear, nose and throat clinic at Ipswich Hospital, she said, “My father was very, very often called and people said ‘my daughter is sick’ or “my son is sick” or “my husband”. bad’.

“He moved around often and just checked that people were okay.

“He was a rural general practitioner at heart and that is the kind of thing he would do.

“I sincerely believe that if someone had called him with concern, he would have gone to check if everything was fine, because that is what he wanted to do for everyone. “

The dedicated general practitioner worked a few days a week at the North Clacton Medical Group
The dedicated general practitioner worked a few days a week at the North Clacton Medical Group

Her whole life was shared between her family and her work. It was all he really lived for, it was those two things.

“He was the most dedicated GP I have ever met. “

She said her father had expressed concern for the safety of people during the pandemic.

“All he said was that he was concerned for everyone’s safety and wanted to help,” said Ayache. “He felt it was his duty to help. “

Read more

Coronavirus epidemic

Dr. Ayache has worked for the NHS in Suffolk for more than 40 years and has helped raise funds for refugee charities to help people in his homeland, Syria.

He is survived by his two daughters Layla and Sarah, Sarah Katie’s wife and granddaughter Paisley.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here