Respiratory disease outbreak reported at another seniors’ home southeast of Calgary

0
73


CALGARY –
Residents of another seniors’ home in southeast Calgary are tested for COVID-19 following an outbreak of respiratory illness.

In a letter to residents, family and friends, officials at AgeCare Midnapore say they are awaiting test results, which are expected “in the coming days.”

“There are currently many respiratory viruses in circulation, but we are taking every precaution to ensure the safety and security of all of our residents,” the letter said.

He adds that staff are following the outbreak protocol, which includes improved cleaning and disinfection.

Symptoms of COVID-19 include dry cough, fever, chills, chest congestion, and difficulty breathing.

The installation in block 500 of Midpark Way S.E., also limits who can visit and reduces activities to limit potential spread.

“Alberta Health identifies essential visitors as those who provide care and support services necessary for the well-being of the resident, and visitors who care for a dying resident,” reads we in the letter.

“All group leisure activities have been discontinued and alternative approaches to involve and socialize residents are being used. “

Health officials said last week that COVID-19 outbreaks have been identified in at least nine facilities across the province, most in Calgary, including another AgeCare center in Seton.

The nine retirement homes include:

Calgary

Edmonton

North Zone

Officials also announced on Monday that an eleventh person died of complications at the McKenzie Towne Continuing Care Center, also in southeast Calgary, which was the hardest hit.

The operating company of the McKenzie Towne health center, Revera, reported on Sunday afternoon that 52 residents and 39 staff members tested positive for COVID-19.

In a statement released late Monday afternoon, a spokesperson for Revera said, “We extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends,” adding that a total of 85 staff members are at home isolated. , with 43 staff members who tested negative.

Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, said on Monday that screening protocols were being changed to include all Albertans over the age of 65 who are experiencing symptoms.

As of Monday, there are 1,348 cases of viruses registered in Alberta and nearly 300 of them are believed to be recovered. There were 24 deaths attributed to complications from COVID-19.

The province has declared a state of health emergency and most cities in Alberta have declared a local state of emergency.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here