On Tuesday evening, the Bruins and NESN ended their 2011 playoff replays with Game 7 in Vancouver, the crowning glory of this memorable race.
The B took the opportunity to organize a Zoom video meeting with almost all the members of this team from 2011.
Prior to the broadcast, the Bruins issued a small warning, stating that it would be a live broadcast, and as such, viewer discretion was advised.
Boy, it didn’t disappoint!
The show, if you haven’t listened, was a nice collection of nostalgia, warm memories, roasting and moments that shouldn’t be repeated.
Let’s sum up!
- The star of the show was undoubtedly Gregory Campbell. The former fourth lineman was targeting just about everyone on the call, with a special focus on Brad Marchand. It would be impossible to summarize them all, but to tell Marchand to have self-respect and stop selling t-shirts was great, or to tell him that he had a Donald Trump combover.
- Speaking of Marchand’s roasting, Chris Kelly told Marchand that his career would end once Patrice Bergeron retires.
- One of the happiest moments involved Tim Thomas being there and smiling. He has resurfaced in this season and commented on the difficult times he had experienced after his retirement, but he looked really relaxed and happy during the broadcast. He has been the subject of a number of authentic toasts, including one particularly warm from Milan Lucic.
- Speaking of Lucic, he was also a star on the show. He was definitely the sentimental drinking guy, the friend you have who starts to get hot and fuzzy after a few beers.
Lucic has also targeted the Buffalo Sabers more than once. The players were commenting on how the goalkeepers made many more contacts at the time, and Lucic rang wondering what happened to change that. He then added that Ryan Miller “shouldn’t have been there” and we all know what it is all about. The team then sounded that Lucic destroyed the entire Sabers franchise with this game, well … it’s hard to argue about that.
Tuukka Rask was hilarious, and he certainly made the team PR perspire at several different times. In addition, his wife recently gave birth to their third daughter, so … congratulations!
Nathan Horton was not on the show, which was not very strange in itself, but it got a little weird. Horton came several times. Once, it was just a little overflown with a “he’s not there” deal. Later, however, Lucic made a comment to the extent that “I don’t care what anyone says, we won’t win this year without him. Most people have heard the strange rumors about why Horton left Boston, but it almost seems like there are other layers in the set. He found David Krejci and Lucic in a photo earlier this season, but … the reports tonight were strange.
Patrice Bergeron confirmed that Alex Burrows had bitten him earlier in the series. Lucic also sarcastically commented on Burrows at one point, saying, “Burrows cost someone dear? Weird! “
- If you’re the sentimental type, one of the most interesting things about it is that the team is always a tight-knit group. Just go to show you that it was a special group.
Overall, a pretty hilarious night in what was not exactly the most hilarious period.
Has anyone else had particularly memorable moments from the call?
Classify your MVP calls. I’m going with:
- Gregory Campbell
- Milan Lucic
- Tuukka rask
- Andrew Ference
- Brad Marchand