The number of COVID-19 deaths and cases in Ontario peaked in just one day, with 55 deaths and 564 cases reported Friday morning.
There are currently 9,525 cases of COVID-19 in the province, including 478 deaths and 4,556 cures. Data shows that 362 patients have recovered in the past 24 hours.
Friday’s jump in reported cases marks a 6.3% increase from the previous day.
The number of people hospitalized for COVID-19 continued to increase throughout the week, although the number of patients treated in an intensive care unit (ICU) decreased slightly.
As it stands, the number of hospital patients is 829, an increase of 22 from Thursday, while 245 patients are treated in the ICU, 18 fewer since Monday. Of these 245 intensive care patients, 200 breathe with the help of a ventilator.
On Thursday, the province announced the addition of more than 2,500 acute and critical care beds to their hospitals, in anticipation of a potential increase in COVID-19 cases.
In terms of testing, the province said it ran 8,899 tests on Thursday. The province previously said it hopes to run 8,000 daily tests by April 15, a level it appears to have reached.
However, yesterday, Ontario health officials noted that the total number of tests performed (136,992) does not represent the total number of people tested, which means that many samples may have been taken from a single patient.
In addition, the number of cases under investigation has increased to 5,993, up from 1,670 since Thursday, which the Ministry of Health attributed to the expansion of screening criteria.
According to Friday’s epidemiological summary, there are currently 106 outbreaks in Ontario’s 626 long-term care homes. At least 216 residents have died from the epidemics and hundreds of staff have tested positive for the virus.
Premier Doug Ford unveiled the COVID-19 action plan for Ontario long-term care homes on Wednesday that includes improved testing and screening to slow the spread of COVID-19 in these residences in establishments where outbreaks have been confirmed.
The Prime Minister also issued an emergency order that restricts staff in long-term care homes from working in one facility, a move that has drawn criticism for coming into effect on April 22.
This is a developing story. More soon.