According to a royal expert, the current lifestyle of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex may be greatly affected by the current coronavirus crisis. The estimated cost of privately funded security services is £ 4 million.
Speaking on the Heir Pod podcast, the royal expert said the pandemic was likely to interrupt the couples’ business plans.
He said: “They have spent the past few years without making a living. As a royal, your expenses are covered but you do not earn a salary. It will be very difficult for them, especially in the next few months.
“No one knows when there is an end date for this. It could follow us for a while.
“For Harry and Meghan, in addition to the difficulties they had with the press, there was this underlying question of who pays for security in the future.
“This is something the couple was very aware of – as of March 31, it should be done by themselves.
“They didn’t want to be open to new attacks.”
Laney Lui of CTV said, “Security is not cheap. For them, you deal with multiple staff and 24 hours a day. You must also take this into account and travel and other costs. “
READ MORE: Meghan and Harry ‘useless’ cut ties to royal family entirely
Last week, the Daily Mail reported that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had agreed to finance their own security.
Prince Charles will continue to personally finance his son and daughter-in-law for the first year of their new life.
It is understood that Prince Charles’ contribution will not pay for the couple’s security.
A Sussex spokesperson said, “The security costs are personally borne by the couple.”
A source said, “The Prince of Wales supports them privately, but the Duke and Duchess also have their own money.
“They pay for it themselves. The Duke was adamant about it. ”
While in Canada, the Sussexes employed nine highly qualified British officers traveling between the United Kingdom and North America.
The bill for their security in Canada is estimated to be around £ 8 million a year and is paid for by British taxpayers through the Metropolitan Police budget.
In Canada, the couple also received protection from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
The latest developments came when the couple announced Archewell, a new charity they are launching soon.