Last week, the province eased its physical distance restrictions by allowing two-household gatherings or resuming carpooling if the passenger is traveling in the back.
“I am pleased that we are able to reduce the restrictions, but I want to remind everyone that it is not free for everyone,” Prime Minister Blaine Higgs said at Monday’s press conference at Fredericton.
Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health, and Premier Higgs both mentioned residents who held neighborhood and multi-family meetings.
At the afternoon press conference, they pleaded with New Brunswickers to continue to follow public health advice to stop the spread of COVID-19.
“Let me be clear. We are far from ready to declare victory over the COVID-19 virus, “said Russell.
The province’s special hotline received 758 complaints from other residents about breaking the rules. This number was up from 617 the previous weekend.
Meanwhile, officers also follow up on reports of potential rule violations.
Law enforcement officials have issued 22 tickets in the past week out of a total of 77 tickets that have been issued overall since a state of emergency was declared last month.
“Ticketing is a last resort,” said Higgs. “But we will continue to issue them as long as people break the rules. If we all continue to follow the rules, we may have even fewer restrictions in the weeks and months to come. “
112 people recovered from COVID-19
To date, 112 people have recovered from the virus and three people have remained in hospital, none of whom are in an intensive care unit.
Of the 118 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in New Brunswick, 66 are travel-related.
Meanwhile, 42 are close contacts of confirmed cases and 10 are the result of community transmission.
Here is an overview of other developments.
Harvest Jazz & Blues Festival cancels 30th anniversary
Downtown Fredericton will be much quieter in September than it has been in three decades.
Organizers canceled the 30th anniversary of the Harvest Jazz & Blues Festival following the province’s decision to ban mass gatherings until the end of the year as part of its COVID four-phase stimulus plan -19.
“This comes as a blow,” said Brent Staeben, music director for Harvest Jazz & Blues.
“We were pretty much ready to deploy [the lineup]. ”
The event has been postponed until 2021, or whenever it is safe to bring back the festival, which takes place for a week in September in the capital of New Brunswick.
Staeban spent all of Friday contacting music booking agencies across North America, warning of the cancellation.
He said the agencies were understanding and not surprised.
“The music industry is upside down right now. “
Staeban would not disclose the names of the 2020 performers he had fielded, but said he was “very proud” of the lineup.
We need to confirm what we sincerely hope will not be the case: the harvest will not take place in September. Click on the link for more details.https: //t.co/PojAS3lYoD
“We had a lot of expectations from last year’s festival … it would have been very difficult to surpass Robert Plant and Lucinda Williams and Nathaniel Rateliff in the same festival,” said Staeban.
“But the analogy I use is that the peaks may not have been as high, but the mountain range was larger and had many more mountains. “
Last year, the music festival welcomed up to 100,000 visitors from across North America.
In a small world after COVID-19, said Staeban, some components of Harvest and other festivals may need to be readjusted, such as the number of people allowed inside a music tent and whether the food and alcohol can be served safely.
“What Harvest needs to do now is sit back and understand how the industry is evolving and do everything we can to protect the legacy and history we have built for this community. “
Those who have already purchased ultimate passes will be able to get a refund, he said, although many subscribers have simply asked the festival to move their passes until 2021.
Beaches are open but playgrounds remain closed
At Monday’s press conference, Prime Minister Blaine Higgs reiterated that beaches and parks are open to the public as long as people are two meters away from other households.
Playgrounds in provincial and municipal parks, as well as school grounds and any other public playground are still closed.
“The risk of transmission in this setting is simply too high,” said Higgs. “It is a risk that we should not take at the moment. “
Snow crab fishermen adapt to COVID-19 restrictions
The first snow crab landings of the season took place on Sunday in the Acadian Peninsula. The snow crab season has started a few weeks late due to the pandemic and will continue until July 1.
On Sunday, at Caraquet wharf, A.J Chiasson landed about 12,000 pounds of crab.
Captain Jonathan Chiasson said the crew could have contributed more but had an agreement with the processing plant where he delivers his cargo.
“The first few days, they didn’t want to fill the plant to capacity at first. They therefore put quotas of 15,000 pounds per boat, “he told Radio-Canada in French.
Factories are now required to observe additional protective measures to protect the health and safety of their workers and prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Meanwhile, ships also have to adapt.
Crew members should have their temperature taken in the morning and in the evening.
“There is a protocol in place if there is a case [of COVID-19] who comes aboard, “said Chiasson.
At the wharf, workers responsible for landings must also wear masks.
“This is an adjustment,” said Randy Chiasson, an employee of Pêcheries St-Paul, a Bas-Caraquet company.
“There is sweat … it is not easy to work and move a lot at the same time. We will adapt. “
But as fishermen continue to adapt, other challenges are looming on the horizon.
The return of the endangered North Atlantic right whales to the Gulf of St. Lawrence could force the closure of certain fishing areas.
Although this prospect may encourage fishermen to intensify their fishing to reach their quota sooner, Chiasson said that the factories cannot process as much crab at a time with the measures currently in place.
Canada Post sees parcel deliveries at Christmas level
Christmas could be in eight months, but Canada Post is seeing similar package deliveries as the holidays.
Many Canadians are isolating themselves at home and spending more time shopping online, Canada Post said in a statement.
On April 20, the crown corporation delivered more than 1.8 million packages to Canadians.
“It is similar to the biggest delivery days we see during the Christmas season. “
Canada Post advises customers to expect delays in the delivery of their packages. The combination of large parcel volumes and security measures means that processing takes longer.
To eliminate interactions with customers at the door, Canada Post has implemented a “knock, deposit and leave” approach.
The deliverymen strike or ring, choose the safest place available to leave the item, and then leave for the next address.
“This change eliminates the need for door signatures, expedites delivery and has significantly reduced the number of packages sent to our post offices for pickup,” the statement said.
Canada Post also delayed its 15-day waiting period at the post office. These packages will not be returned to senders until further notice.
Grade 12 students can start postsecondary early
Provincial government, in partnership with University of New Brunswick, St. Thomas University, Mount Allison University and Université de Moncton, encourages Grade 12 students to enroll in distance education , which will be offered as part of the spring and summer intersessional courses.
“If students have the opportunity to excel, this should be encouraged,” said Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development Dominic Cardy.
“This is why we are working with our partners to ensure that interested Grade 12 students accepted into one of the publicly funded universities in the province can begin to complete their post-secondary programs.”
With parental consent, students who are on track to graduate in June can enroll in intersessional courses to earn credits toward their graduation starting this fall. This would coincide with their obligations to complete the public school year.
University courses will be available online with no physical presence required and standard intersessional fees will apply.
Once enrolled in these courses, students in the public education system would be required to comply with any policies or requirements of the university offering the course.
Golf courses reopen slowly – but with new restrictions
Some outdoor spaces, such as parks, beaches and golf courses, opened on weekends after the government said it was part of the stimulus package announced on Friday.
But a golf course in the Saint John area decided to remain closed.
Alastair Barr has owned and operated the Welsford Golf Course for 25 years.
He planned to open the course on May 18 and will not change that date now. He did not expect the government to allow him to open earlier.
“Opening is good, but at the same time, it’s not like we’re going to be able to do it as usual,” said Barr.
The government has announced several precautions that golf courses must apply if they want to reopen for the season.
Players must reserve time online to play. No food or drink can be served.
The courses must also lift the cups on the green, so that a player does not have to put his hand in the hole to extract the golf ball.
Some golf courses, such as the Carmen Creek Golf Course in Fredericton, have already opened.
What to do in case of symptoms
People affected by COVID-19 can perform a self-assessment on the government website. Symptoms of the coronavirus include fever, new or worsening cough and shortness of breath, as well as sore throat, headache, and runny nose. People with two of these symptoms are encouraged to: