Money-saving expert Martin Lewis reveals how everyone working at home can claim money during the coronavirus epidemic


Money-saving expert Martin Lewis has revealed that every home worker can claim extra money due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The Covid-19 epidemic has raised concerns about people’s earnings, with some Lincolnshire workers being put on leave by their employers.

People are wondering how they can afford to pay their bills – but Martin Lewis has some tips for you.

People could claim up to £ 124 in tax refunds if you are forced to work from home, Birmingham Live reports.

Martin Lewis, money saving expert

The Money Saving Expert has its own ITV1 show, as well as regular appearances on topics like Lorraine, Good Morning Britain and This Morning.

He used the latest episode of his eponymous ITV1 show – The Martin Lewis Money Show – to allay Brits’ fears amid the health pandemic.

“Your employer is allowed to pay you £ 6 a month tax free if they are forced to work from home,” said Martin.

You can ask for more if it costs you more, but it takes a lot more manpower.

But you don’t have to go to your employer to get the money.

“You can now claim it from the HMRC,” he added.

Martin explained how to claim in detail in a blog post.

“If your employer will not pay your expenses because of the homework required, but you have them, you can request that the amount be deducted from your taxable income,” wrote Martin.

“To make the process easier, HMRC says that claims in line with employers’ payment (i.e. for £ 6 per week) will not need to justify this figure – which means that you will not have no need to keep receipts or prove information. “

It’s not a huge amount of money, but it’s better than nothing.

“The impact of a claim of £ 6 per week is tax savings, which is a gain of £ 1.20 per week (around £ 62 per year) for taxpayers at the base rate of 20%, and £ 2.40 a week (around £ 124 a year) for taxpayers at the 40% higher rate. ”

Martin Lewis

If you have higher costs, you can claim more, but you need evidence of increased costs.

There are two main ways to get it.

“If you normally do a self-assessment form, you can claim it,” wrote Martin.

“Yet, for most people, this will simply require filling out a P87 form. “

He said the key thing was the “Use your home as an office” section.

For the online form, Martin said that it is easier to put £ 6 for each week spent at home in the “amount you paid” section and € 0 in the “amount paid to you by your employer ”if they haven’t raised your wages.

If you are making a request using the postal form, you must manually add an expense “use your home as an office” in the “Other expenses” section.

“Once you have submitted the claim, if you do it online, you might hear in a few weeks. However, of course, if the HMRC is under pressure, it may take longer, “said Martin.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here