Get all the latest coronavirus news and more daily in your inbox. Register here.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are in shock over the hefty security bills they will have to cover at their own expense and no current way to do so given the state of the world amid the coronavirus pandemic, according to a royal expert.
“They have spent the past few years without making a living. As a royal, your expenses are covered but you do not earn a salary. It will be very difficult for them, especially in the next few months, “royal insider Omid Scobie said on the Heir Pod Podcast on Tuesday, according to the Daily Mail.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex left the United Kingdom for Canada in March after retreating as senior members of the royal family, and have since made their foray into Markle’s hometown of Los Angeles.
MEGHAN MARKLE AND PRINCE HARRY CONFIRM NEW FOUNDATION NAME
Scobie warned during the broadcast that the couple’s move to the United States could be harmful given that no one knows when the pandemic could end and when authorities could lift distance restrictions.
“No one knows when there is an end date for this. It could follow us for a while, ”he said. “For Harry and Meghan, in addition to the difficulties they had with the press, there was this underlying question of who pays for security in the future.”
MEGHAN MARKLE PROHIBITED PRINCE HARRY FROM TRAVELING ABROAD AFTER PRINCE CHARLES CORONAVIRUS DIAGNOSIS: REPORT
“This is something the couple was very aware of – as of March 31, it should be done by themselves,” he added. “They didn’t want to be open to new attacks.”
Elaine Lui, a CTV presenter, added, “Security is not cheap. For them, you deal with multiple staff and 24 hours a day. You must also take this into account and travel and other costs. “
“It all goes back to the curiosity about their future plans and what they will be,” she said. “They’re going to have to have enough income to cover that and their lifestyle. “
Last week, President Trump spoke out against reports that the royal couple had moved to California, tweeting that the United States would not cover any protection expenses for them after making the decision to become financially independent.
MEGHAN MARKLE WANTS TO WRITE A SECOND BOOK OF BOOKS AND RE-LAUNCH THE LIFESTYLE BLOG: REPORT
“They have to pay!” Trump tweeted on March 29.
However, Harry, 35, and Markle, 38, never intended to pressure the government to foot the bill, a spokesman for the pair told Fox News at the time.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no intention of asking the US government for security resources,” said the spokesman. “Security arrangements funded by private funds have been made. “
HOW MEGHAN MARKLE AND PRINCE HARRY SPEND THEIR TIME AT THE REPORT
Since jumping into the pond, the characters have remained in an isolated complex and have stayed close to home during the coronavirus pandemic, reported People magazine, although it is unclear when exactly the couple took the step.
In addition, the store said that Harry’s father, Prince Charles, will continue to offer financial assistance which he will draw from his own reserve of funds and not from the Duchy of Cornwall.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
On Monday, Markle and Harry finally revealed that the name of their charitable foundation was Archewell – a name they say derives from the name of their son, Archie, and from the Greek word “ark”, which means “source of action”.
On March 31, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex officially closed their offices at Buckingham Palace and backed down as senior members of the royal family.
Melissa Roberto of Fox News contributed to this report.