The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will find it hard to pay for their safety and their current lifestyle in the midst of the coronavirus crisis, said a royal expert.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle moved to California in March after they resigned as senior members of the royal family.
But they now have to pay their estimated £ 4 million security bill themselves – which can be difficult for the couple who have no regular source of income, according to royal expert Omid Scobie.
Speaking on the Heir Pod podcast, the commentator said the couple would not be immune to financial hardship as the pandemic is likely to keep them from seizing business opportunities.
He said: “They have spent the past few years without making a living. As a royal, your expenses are covered but you do not earn a salary. It will be very difficult for them, especially in the next few months.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will find it difficult to pay for their safety and their current way of life, revealed a royal expert. The couple is photographed in London in October
“No one knows when there is an end date for this. It could follow us for a while.
Scobie, a regular contributor to Vanity Fair and Harper’s Bazaar, continued: “For Harry and Meghan, in addition to the difficulties they encountered with the press, there was this underlying question of who pays for security in the future.
“This is something the couple was very aware of – as of March 31, it should be done by themselves.
“They did not want to be open to new attacks. “
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle moved to California in March after they resigned as senior members of the royal family. But they now have to pay their security bill estimated at £ 4 million themselves, which could worry the couple. Meghan is pictured at the Royal Albert Hall in London in March
Laney Lui of CTV added, “Security is not cheap. For them, you deal with multiple staff and 24 hours a day. You must also take this into account, as well as travel and other costs. “
She continued, “It all comes down to curiosity about their future plans and what they will be. They’re going to have to have enough income to cover that and their lifestyle. “
The couple’s safety issue was raised when President Donald Trump tweeted that the U.S. taxpayer wouldn’t pay his bill after they moved to Malibu, where they are currently secluded with their 11-month-old son Archie.
Last week, the Mail revealed that Harry and Meghan had agreed to pay the cost of their security personally.
Their security personnel are said to be made up of former SAS soldiers at a cost of £ 400 per officer per day.
Prince Charles will continue to pay for the upkeep of his son and daughter-in-law for the first 12 months of their new life out of private funds, not the Duchy of Cornwall. But it is understood that this money will not be used for their protection.
A spokesman for Sussex said, “The security costs are personally borne by the couple. “
Evolution suggests that the Sussexes have negotiated a clean break, in which they will no longer receive public money, only funds from Prince Charles’ personal fortune until they start earning their own income.
A source said, “The Prince of Wales supports them privately, but the Duke and Duchess also have their own money. They pay for it themselves. The Duke was adamant about it. “
The Sussex’s rapid response to the shootings came hours after Trump said the couple should foot the bill for their bodyguards now that they have crossed the border into Los Angeles from Vancouver, where the Canadian police helped with security.
This comes when the couple announced the launch of a new charitable foundation called Archewell. They also revealed that the Greek word for the Ark project – which means source of action – was the inspiration behind the name of their son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor, baby Archie is pictured above with his mother and father in Africa. from the South last September in September last year.
The bill for their safety during their stay in Canada, which includes a list of nine highly qualified British officers commuting between the United Kingdom and the United States, is estimated at £ 8 million a year and is covered by the British taxpayers via the Metropolitan Police budget. . They also received support from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Royal sources said that if Harry and Meghan wanted help with the security of the US secret service, which protects international diplomats, a request should be made to the State Department.
This comes when the couple announced the launch of a new charitable foundation called Archewell.
Meghan and Harry have said they are looking forward to starting the foundation, which will replace their Sussex Royal brand.
Harry and Meghan also revealed that the Greek word for project Arche – meaning source of action – was the inspiration behind the name of their son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.
Further details of the organization were delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The couple said an announcement will be made “when the time comes.”
Their plans come just a day after the Queen spoke to the UK over the coronavirus pandemic.