McDonald’s China “prohibits black people from fearing having a coronavirus”

0
72


A McDonald’s restaurant in China is said to have prohibited black people from entering the store for fear of being carriers of coronavirus.

A video recently posted online showed a customer holding a sign that said, “We have now been informed that blacks are not allowed into the restaurant.” The store is said to be located in the city of Guangzhou in southern China.

The images sparked an online uproar after the fast-food chain was accused of fueling growing xenophobia, especially among African nationals, in the country.

McDonald’s said the review “is not representative of our inclusive values.” The American fast food giant has temporarily closed the branch, according to a statement.

A McDonald's restaurant in China is said to have prohibited black people from entering the store for fear of being carriers of coronavirus. Employees wearing face masks are seen at a McDonald's restaurant after the isolation ends in Wuhan on April 8

A McDonald’s restaurant in China is said to have prohibited black people from entering the store for fear they may be carriers of coronavirus. Employees wearing face masks are seen at a McDonald’s restaurant after the isolation was lifted in Wuhan on April 8

The incident came after African officials confronted China in public and in private about the racist mistreatment of Africans in the Chinese city of Guangzhou.

The notice, written in English, indicates that the ban was established for the health of customers.

“For your health, consciously inform the local police of medical isolation, please understand the inconvenience caused. “

The video, uploaded to a Black Livity China Twitter account, sparked outrage on social media.

“Banning blacks is completely crazy. The world needs to know this. China calls racism all the time, it’s TRUE racism, “wrote one commentator.

Another read: “I am sorry for the black people living in China. I am Chinese, but I absolutely support you to fight for your rights. No one should be treated like this.

People wearing masks walk the street in the African village of Guangzhou in southern China

People wearing masks walk the street in the African village of Guangzhou in southern China

McDonald’s said in a statement today that the Guangzhou branch had temporarily closed due to the incident.

“As a brand, a company and more than 2.2 million people serving nearly 120 countries around the world, this is not representative of our inclusive values,” the statement said.

“Immediately after learning of an unauthorized communication with our customers at a restaurant in Guangzhou, we immediately deleted the communication and temporarily closed the restaurant.

“As part of the temporary closure of this restaurant, we will take the opportunity to make managers and employees more aware of our values, which means serving all members of the communities in which we operate.”

The U.S. company’s franchise operations in Mainland China and Hong Kong have been owned primarily by a Crown corporation CITIC since 2017.

The picture shows the customer holding the notice in Guangzhou

Photo shows alleged McDonald's staff member in Guangzhou

A video recently posted online showed a customer holding a sign that said, “We have now been informed that blacks are not allowed into the restaurant.” The store would be located in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou

The notice, written in English, indicates that the ban was established for the sake of customers' health. Chinese man wears protective mask while sitting alone in McDonalds

The notice, written in English, indicates that the ban was established for the health of customers. Chinese man wearing protective mask while sitting alone in McDonald’s

As China prepares for a second wave of COVID-19 cases to hit their cities, Africans living in the “Little Africa” ​​shopping center – found in Yuexiu district – said they had been discriminated against and faced with racism.

A US Embassy security alert Saturday said that “police have ordered bars and restaurants not to serve customers who appear to be of African descent,” and local authorities have launched mandatory tests and a car. -quarantine for “anyone with ‘African contacts'”.

Some Africans have even described being suddenly evicted from their homes.

Since April 4, the Guangzhou Health Commission has examined 4,553 African nationals currently living in the city, according to an official yesterday. A total of 111 residents were found to be infected with the coronavirus.

City authorities registered 13,652 African citizens living in Guangzhou in December 2019. Less than half of them remained in the city after the epidemic began, officials said yesterday.

“We have provided African nationals with the same nucleic acid testing procedures we do for Chinese and other foreign nationals,” said Chen Yongqiu, deputy chief of police, Guangzhou.

“We appointed the same quarantine hotels and the same staff. There is no discrimination or racism. “

China struck down by several African countries after Africans living in Guangzhou said they were rejected, targeted for further COVID-19 screenings and evicted from their homes

China struck down by several African countries after Africans living in Guangzhou said they were rejected, targeted for further COVID-19 screenings and evicted from their homes

Nigeria's House of Representatives Femi Gbajabiamila (right) met with Ambassador Zhou Pingjian (left) last week to discuss concerns about racism

Nigeria’s House of Representatives Femi Gbajabiamila (right) met with Ambassador Zhou Pingjian (left) last week to discuss concerns about racism

The Africans in Guangzhou also said they had been rejected by others in public and targeted for further COVID-19 tests without ever seeing the results.

“There is an increasing control of foreign nationals, but they target Africans and the African-American community. Since Thursday, 114 new cases of coronavirus infections have been reported in Guangzhou and 16 of them were Africans, “said journalist Sarah Clarke for Al Jazeera.

“We have seen a number of social media reports from members of the African community in Guangzhou denouncing ill-treatment, arrests, evictions and denial of access to restaurants and hotels, and some students even claim to live in the street and be denied food, ”she added.

This happens when authorities in the city of Guangzhou, in southern China, are investigating a possible series of community transmission of the deadly virus after five Nigerian nationals were infected with the deadly disease.

Four of them had recently visited the same Emma Food restaurant on several occasions, the Guangzhou Health Commission announced on April 7. The restaurant owner, as well as his daughter and another child, were then tested positive for the contagion.

The Chinese city of Guangzhou is located 1,028 kilometers (638 miles) south of the ancient epicenter, Wuhan

The Chinese city of Guangzhou is located 1,028 kilometers (638 miles) south of the former epicenter, Wuhan

The coronavirus epidemic broke out in China after dozens of people with “mysterious viral pneumonia” were linked to the same seafood market in Wuhan. Guangzhou is located 1,028 kilometers (638 miles) south of the old epicenter.

Guangzhou is also one of China’s main trade and clothing centers, attracting many merchants from around the world. The coastal city is also said to be home to the largest African migrant population in Asia.

Experts have warned that the wave of “imported cases” and asymptotic patients could spark a new wave of epidemics, spoiling the nation’s progress to curb the epidemic.

The authority urged the authorities to step up surveillance of “dispersed infections” and possible “regional epidemics”, triggered by non-indigenous cases and symptomless patients.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here