There are now 121 Quebecers who died from COVID-19 and the number of confirmed cases in Quebec has reached 8,580, health officials announced on Monday.
This represents an increase of 27 from the 94 deaths and an increase of 636 from the 7,944 cases reported in the province 24 hours earlier.
“It is difficult,” Quebec Premier Francois Legault said on Monday. “You don’t get used to these numbers, and behind these numbers, of course, are the people and families. “
On Monday afternoon, 533 Quebecers were treated for COVID-19 in the hospital, health officials reported, up only eight from Sunday; 164 of them are in intensive care, an increase of only 10 compared to the previous day.
Legault said he was encouraged by the relatively small number of new hospitalizations which he said could indicate a “light at the end of the tunnel”.
” It’s encouraging. Sure, it’s a day, “said Legault. “But what that means is that if we have a few days like these, we could say that we are getting closer to the top and back to normal. Closer to returning to normal life. “
But he warned that April could be the most difficult month of the pandemic in Quebec and urged Quebeckers not to relax their efforts to curb the spread of the virus.
“We can’t take any risks,” said Legault. “We can’t relax any of the measures – we have to keep doing what we have to do right.
“We hope it will be the last difficult month, but April will be critical. “
There are 2,942 Quebecers awaiting the results of the COVID-19 test; 91,533 tests returned negative.
Health officials also reported that 611 Quebecers who had contracted COVID-19 have now recovered.
Montreal continues to have by far the most confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Quebec, with 3,977; you can see a full regional breakdown of Quebec cases here.
Legault reiterated the urgency for Quebecers everywhere to follow the province’s public health orders, particularly with regard to compliance with physical distancing guidelines.
The Quebec provincial police and the Montreal police announced earlier Monday that they had already distributed hundreds of tickets to people who did not comply with public distance orders.
During the province’s daily briefing on Sunday, Legault announced that it was extending the closure of all non-essential businesses and services in Quebec from April 13 to May 4.
This is a new development which will be updated.