Latest News: Real Sociedad football players resume training

0
81


Latest news on the effects of the coronavirus epidemic on sports around the world:

___

Real Sociedad plans to resume individual training for their players this week. It would be the first Spanish club to resume its activities during the coronavirus pandemic.

The club says players will have the opportunity to start practicing at the team’s training center after the Spanish government decided to relax some of its lockouts.

Non-essential workers will be allowed to return to work this week while respecting social distancing guidelines and other restrictions. The group’s activities will remain banned as Spain enters its fifth week of containment due to the pandemic.

It was not yet clear whether the government would allow Real Sociedad to open its training center, as most sports facilities are still supposed to remain closed.

Real Sociedad says players have been training at home since last month. The club has prepared individual training programs for the players and has sent stationary bikes and treadmills to them.

Spain reported its lowest daily growth in confirmed coronavirus infections in three weeks, with a total of around 166,000.

___

The great Kenny Dalglish of Liverpool expressed “immense gratitude” to the staff of the National Health Service after his return from the hospital after his diagnosis of coronavirus.

The 69-year-old former Celtic, Scottish and Liverpool striker was hospitalized on Wednesday for treatment for gallstones and then tested positive for COVID-19 despite the absence of symptoms.

Dalglish won eight league championships and three European cups in all spells as a player and manager for Liverpool, while guiding Blackburn to the Premier League title in 1994-95.

In a statement to the official Liverpool website, Dalglish said: “Thank you for all your kind wishes over the past few days. I am delighted to be back home with the family after receiving brilliant care from the NHS, which we now appreciate more than ever. “

Dalglish self-isolated at home and urged the public to do everything possible to slow the spread of the virus.

___

Bill Beaumont faces a late challenge to his candidacy for re-election as president of World Rugby of his current vice-president.

Former Argentina and Bristol captain Agustin Pichot tweeted that he was running against Beaumont for the role on the governing body of rugby.

Pichot, 45, said the crisis caused by the coronavirus epidemic was an opportunity to “realign globally” rugby.

Former English captain Beaumont has announced that he is running for a second four-year term in January with the president of the French Rugby Federation Bernard Laporte as the proposed vice-president.

Pichot, who also had a fate with Richmond in the late 1990s, wrote: “This is a critical moment and a critical election. The current crisis is an opportunity for the global realignment of our game. We cannot miss it. “

The election is scheduled to take place in May.

More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here