The Swedish furniture retailer released the recipe for its meatballs and sauce on Monday so fans of the iconic pieces can enjoy them even though Ikea stores remain closed due to the COVID-19 threat.
“We know that some people may miss our meatballs, which is why we have launched an alternative at home which, using readily available ingredients, will help those looking for inspiration in the kitchen”, Lorena Lourido, director of the country’s cuisine at Ikea, said in a press release.
“Pizza Groundhog” Enjoys Slice Outside Coronavirus Locked House
Ikea is just the latest company giant to release one of its favorite recipes. The Doubletree hotel chain released its chocolate chip cookie recipe earlier this month, and Canada’s Wonderland also released instructions for making its funnel-shaped dessert.
Global News has not yet done a taste test with the meatballs, but early reports on social media suggest that they are rather gööd.
[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]
The recipe was published in the classic style of Ikea diagrams, but if that makes you crazy, we offer simple and detailed instructions. We have also converted some of the British measurements in case you are used to working with cups and teaspoons.
So, without further ado, here’s how to make about 16 to 20 meatballs and sauce:
Swedish meatball ingredients
- 500 grams (about 1 pound) of ground beef
- 250 grams (about 0.5 pounds) of ground pork
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or chopped
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons whole milk
- generous amounts of salt and pepper
Cream sauce ingredients
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 40 grams (3 tablespoons) butter
- 40 grams (3 tablespoons) plain flour
- 150 milliliters (2/3 cup) vegetable broth
- 150 milliliters (2/3 cup) beef broth
- 150 milliliters (2/3 cup) heavy double cream
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Combine ground beef and ground pork in a bowl and crack it with your fingers to remove lumps.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix.
- Add the milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Roll the mixture into small meatballs. Place on a clean plate, cover and refrigerate for two hours.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides.
- Heat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Add the golden meatballs to an ovenproof dish, cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of flour and stir for two minutes.
- Add 2/3 cup vegetable broth and 2/3 cup beef broth, stirring continuously.
- Add 2/3 cup of double cream, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Drizzle with meatballs and enjoy.
“Staying at home can be difficult, but we want to help make everyone’s life a little easier and more enjoyable,” Ikea’s food manager said in the statement.
“Bon appétit ou, smaklig måltid, as they say in Sweden! “
See the link »
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.