The investigation started when Australian authorities said the rate of new coronavirus infections had bottomed out in three weeks and started planning more thefts to bring stranded citizens overseas.
The cruise ship Ruby Princess, owned by Carnival Corp, has become a flashpoint of public anger in Australia after authorities authorized the ship to disembark passengers last month without health checks.
Coronavirus: Canadians say they leave Coral Princess cruise ship docked in Florida
Hundreds of passengers were subsequently tested positive for the coronavirus and 15 died, out of approximately 6,000 confirmed cases and 51 deaths in Australia.
Investigators boarded the ship at an industrial harbor south of Sydney, questioned the captain, and took electronic newspapers as evidence, said New South Wales (NSW) State Police Commissioner Mick Fuller.
“They spoke to the captain of the ship, who was extremely helpful,” Fuller said during a televised press conference on Thursday.
“The ships have a black box very similar to that of international planes, and this and other evidence has been seized for further investigation. “
COVID-19: Canadians Wait to Disembark from Coral Princess Cruise Ship
Approximately 1,000 crew members of various nationalities remain on board the vessel.
[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]
An investigation into Ruby Princess protocols will focus on communications and actions that led to the docking and disembarking of the ship’s 2,700 passengers on March 19 in Sydney Harbor to see if biosafety laws or state laws have been broken , authorities said.
Globally, more than 1.5 million people have tested positive for the coronavirus, which has caused approximately 87,000 deaths.
The number of cases in Australia is decreasing
Australia registered 96 new coronavirus infections over the past day, its first increase of less than 100 cases in three weeks, Health Minister Greg Hunt said in Canberra.
“The curve continues to flatten, we consolidate the gains,” Hunt said in a televised press conference.
“Although we have been cautious in the past two weeks seeing the first data, what we are seeing now is real consolidation. “
Coronavirus: Australia Reports Continued Slowdown in COVID-19 Infection Rate
Authorities implore people to stay at home and cancel trips to traditional vacation spots during the long Easter holiday weekend and say that strict restrictions on movement could stay in place for at least six months.
The restrictions include a general order to keep people at home, except for essential work or to exercise and buy food, and police have said they will use the threat of fines on the spot to stop people from traveling or socializing at Easter.
“We can’t get off the pedal, we have to be vigilant, make sure to limit community-to-community transmission,” NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian told reporters.
Coronavirus epidemic: Australia announces free child care for six months
Berejiklian has ordered a state legislator to return home to Sydney after being photographed by local media in his beach house outside the city.
Prime Minister of the Tasmanian Island State Peter Gutwein said he would use helicopters and doorknobs of suspected vacation homes to monitor the movements of people.
“The gloves are coming off, we will check this, the education period is over,” he said.
Coronavirus: Australia imposes 14 days self-isolation on international travelers
Federal Foreign Minister Marise Payne said she has arranged with Qantas Airways Ltd to organize special flights to repatriate Australians stranded in foreign countries.
The flights are expected to transport people to Peru, Argentina and South Africa to their homes next week, with flights also planned from India and the Philippines.
On Wednesday evening, the federal government approved a package of measures to subsidize the wages of six million people, or a quarter of the population, at a cost of 130 billion Australian dollars (81 billion US dollars).
(Reporting by Byron Kaye; Editing by Stephen Coates and Lincoln Feast.)
See the link »