14 g active yeast (about 3 level teaspoons or 2 pre-measured sachets)
Woman’s recipe for “best bread ever” requires a slow cooker
3 tablespoons white sugar
Two 2/3 cups of warm water
1 teaspoon of salt
7 cups baker’s flour (she uses Woolworths Defiance 5kg bakery flour for $ 10)
3 tablespoons margarine / butter (she uses Woolworths “1kg Table Spread” for $ 1.60)
Optional – 1 teaspoon full of “Wallaby’s Bread Improver” (makes the bread a little softer inside)
1. Dissolve the sugar and yeast in lukewarm water in a large bowl. Stir in softened margarine / butter, salt and 2 cups of flour.
2. Stir in the remaining flour half a cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Once the dough is gathered, spread it on a floured surface and knead until it is elastic for about 8 minutes. It is normal for the dough to be very sticky at first, so dip your hands in the flour and sprinkle flour on the dough ball if necessary.
4. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in a bowl and turn and cover with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until almost double in size, about 45 minutes.
5. Deflate the dough and turn it into a lightly floured surface. Separate the breads into 3 equal logs.
6. Place the breads in lightly oiled pans (they should fill the pan about 2/3 the height). Cover the pans with a damp cloth until they expand so that the pan is full and generously rounded from the top of the pan, about 30 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 190 ° C and bake for 30 minutes or until the bread is dark brown on top. The bread should sound hollow when pressed.