Gordon Stuckless | National Post

0
73


TORONTO – The man at the heart of the sexual abuse scandal at the Maple Leaf Gardens has died.

Gordon Stuckless was sentenced in 2016 to six and a half years behind bars – six after being credited with his house arrest – for more than 100 sexual abuse offenses against 18 boys over three decades.

He was released to a half-day halfway house in December.

His lawyer Ari Goldkind said that Stuckless had a brain hemorrhage on Tuesday and died Thursday evening in a hospital in Hamilton, Ontario.

“Mr. Stuckless has left a trail of devastation in his wake. there is no doubt. I’ve seen this firsthand in my portrayal of him over the past decade, “Goldkind said in an email.

“When he got out of prison, he vowed never to repeat the monstrous acts he had committed that had ruined so many innocent young people.”

The court heard that Stuckless, who was a volunteer hockey coach and teaching assistant in addition to working in the famous Toronto arena, befriended boys and attracted them to gifts and activities, sometimes even by knowing their family.

A statement of facts read at his trial indicated that the abuses often took place over the years.

A report from the Parole Board of Canada said that Stuckless was unsure of the total number of boys he had abused and agreed that more might come up in the future.

Stuckless previously pleaded guilty in 1997 to sexually assaulting 24 boys while working as an equipment manager at the Maple Leaf Gardens between 1969 and 1988.

He was sentenced to two years less a day in this case, but the sentence was increased to six years on appeal, less one year for the sentence served.

He was released on statutory release in this case in 2001 after serving two-thirds of his sentence.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here