Going forward, the Tour de France would be “madness”: a former Sports Minister

0
49


Allowing the Tour de France to run as planned despite the COVID-19 pandemic would be “folly” and a “crime against humanity,” said former French Sports Minister David Douillet.

The epidemic has decimated the world sports calendar and the Tour de France – which takes place in June and July – is one of the last major world sporting events which has not yet been canceled or postponed.

French Sports Minister Roxana Maracineanu said on Twitter last month that it was too early to decide whether the Tour should be canceled, but that if the race were to take place, it could take place without roadside spectators for minimize the risk of infection.

Douillet, a double Olympic judo champion who was Minister of Sports under former President Nicolas Sarkozy from 2011 to 2012, said that the risks linked to the organization of the Tour outweighed the financial implications of postponing or d ‘a cancellation.

“God knows I’m a fan of the Tour de France, I never miss a stage every summer,” he told France TV.

“If we have enough means to make sure that all Tour players and the public can be tested and are all negative, then why not, but it’s not very likely, so it can’t happen. “There is no vaccine, nothing and people are dying. “

Douillet compared the fact that the Tour was not postponed to the holding by France of municipal elections last month despite the government imposing strict restrictions on public life to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

“I was furious to see that the local elections were held,” he added. “I am not afraid to say that it is a crime against humanity. For me, organizing the Tour in these conditions is on the same level. This is madness. “

This year’s Tour is scheduled to start on June 27 in the Mediterranean city of Nice and to end in Paris on July 19.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here