Get these 2 tax deductions


The Canada Revenue Agency has delayed the filing and filing dates to give Canadians a break in these difficult economic times. This means that you have even more time to review the tax deductions you may be eligible for. A heavy tax bill weighs heavily on your heart and your wallet. But if you know all of the deductions and credits for which you qualify, you may have the option to ease the burden a bit.

Some deductions work for everyone, like RRSP contributions, while some deductions only apply to certain people. This includes the deductions for moving expenses for new owners and the deductions for child care expenses for working parents. There are two other tax deductions to which many of you may be entitled.

Student loan interest

According to an estimate by Hoyes, about one in five debtors they dealt with had student debt. This is an indication that many people have student debt. Any interest paid on eligible student loan debts is a tax deduction that you can write off. And you don’t have to claim this tax credit right away. You can postpone it for up to five years. It is therefore best to keep it for a year when you expect a high tax bill.

Only loans that fall under the Canada Student Loans Act, the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act and similar provincial (or other territorial) loan programs are eligible for this deduction.

Licensing exams and union dues

Market crashes force many people to reassess their status and their professional and educational situation. Additional certification or certain licenses can help you progress in your field, take up secondary jobs or start your own small service / business. The costs of these certifications and license fees can be considered as expenses that you can write off in your taxes. But not if your employer pays them.

Likewise, if you pay union or professional dues to an organization, other than union dues deducted directly from your paycheck, you can claim them in your income tax returns. Many professional insurance premiums are also eligible for tax deductions.

Use of tax deductions

The more you save from your tax deductions, the better. If you are looking for growth, one way to best use this amount is to invest it in a business like EMX Royalty. It has a market capitalization of only $ 194 million. The company is focused on generating consistent cash flow for its investors through strategic investments and the acquisition of royalties in mineral exploration and the mining industry.

The company is trading at $ 2.2 per share, 17% below its annual high. This is an incredible growth stock with five-year returns of 144%.

Foolish take-out

Understanding and claiming all tax deductions is part of better managing your finances. The same goes for an investment plan. The more you save, the more you have to invest and increase your wealth. With the tax deadlines changed, you now have more time to explore your options and expand your investment portfolios.

5 TSX shares to build wealth after 50 years

BRAND NEW! For a limited time, The Motley Fool Canada is releasing a new urgent investment report outlining our 5 favorite stocks for investors over the age of 50.

So if you’re looking to put your finances on the right track and you’re almost retired, we’ve got you covered!

You are invited. Simply click on the link below to discover the 5 actions that we expressly recommend to INVESTORS 50 AND OVER. To collect your FREE copy, simply click on the link below now. But you’ll want to hurry – this free report is available for a short time only.

Click here for your free report!

Crazy contributor Adam Othman has no position in any of the titles mentioned.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here