According to the Eastern Ontario Health Unit, the staff member is at home under self-isolation. All other staff were instructed to report any symptoms to public health immediately.
Dr. Neel Chadha, who works at the residence, says there are no reports of residents or other staff infected with the virus at this time.
“The number of epidemics that occurred in the region’s long-term care homes and retirement homes last week reminds us that we must all follow the recommended measures to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-29 in the community” , said Dr. Paula Stewart, medical officer of health, said in a statement. “This involves staying at home as much as possible and staying six feet or two arms apart from others when in public places to reduce the spread of COVID-19.”
Almonte Country Haven, an Almonte nursing home, also declared an epidemic last week. Three residents of the house had tested positive for the virus. As a precaution, each resident was isolated in his room to prevent further spread.
For more information, those affected can call the Public Health Unit.
Ontario had 3,630 cases on Saturday morning. The number of hospitalized patients is 506 and 196 patients are in intensive care with COVID-19 (including 152 on a ventilator).
The Ontario government has also posted additional demographic details on its monitoring website.
About 48% (or 1,755) of the cases involve men, while just over 51% (or 1,857) are women.
The majority of cases are in the 40 to 59 age group (36%, or 1,319 cases), followed by the 20 to 39 year age group (approximately 28% or 1,025 cases).
To date, Ottawa Public Health reports 289 laboratory-confirmed cases in the city and three deaths. Of this number, 13% of cases were hospitalized, of which 6% ended up in intensive care.