The data failure reported to the ministry earlier this week has been resolved. This is the first time since Tuesday that we have had figures for specific health regions.
Since then, the number of cases in the southern health zone has almost doubled, from 36 to 68. The majority of these cases came from Brooks. LNN’s sister station CHAT News Today announced Thursday that COVID-19 has been confirmed at the JBS Food Canada plant and at a local continuing care center.
Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw says 358 cases have been confirmed in households related to the Cargill meat packing plant in High River, part of the Calgary health zone.
The number of confirmed cases by health zone is as follows:
- Calgary Zone – 1,673 cases, 34 deaths
- Central area – 774 cases, one death
- Edmonton area – 429 cases, eight deaths
- North Zone – 135 cases, seven deaths
- South Zone – 68 cases, no deaths
The distribution in the South health zone is as follows:
- Brooks – 32 cases, 29 new
- Medicine Hat – 13 cases (nine recovered), two new
- Lethbridge – 11 cases (eight recovered), two new
- West Lethbridge – six cases (five recovered)
- South Lethbridge – five cases (three recovered)
- Cypress County – six cases
- M.D. of Taber – two cases
- Forty Mile County – two cases
- Lethbridge County – a case
Starting next week, Dr. Hinshaw hopes to start decomposing the places where community transmission has been reported.