TORONTO – In Ontario, 25 others have died from COVID-19, bringing the provincial death toll from the virus to 119, health officials said.
Deaths occur when the total number of known cases has passed the 4,000 mark, with more than 400 new cases reported. Over 150 people were on respirators.
More than three dozen epidemics have been reported in nursing homes across the province. The frail elderly are particularly exposed to the coronavirus, which may not produce any symptoms or be mild, but can also cause fatal pneumonia.
Another resident of Pinecrest Nursing Home in Bobcaygeon, Ontario died, bringing the death toll from the virus in the 65-bed facility to 23. It is one of the worst coronavirus epidemics in the country. At least 24 facility staff have also tested positive for COVID-19.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford, Who Urged People To Stay Home Except For Essential Outings, Had No Public Events On Sunday, Nor Did Toronto Mayor John Tory, About half of the cases in the province.
Tory, however, released a short video in which he also urged people to stay home despite the good weather.
“We will break the back of this virus if we do,” said Tory.
The latest figures from Toronto indicate that 25 doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers have been infected.
Ontario predicts that 3,000 to 15,000 lives could be lost to the pandemic, even with strict household restrictions.
The union representing correctional officers said on Sunday that about 40 inmates from a large women’s prison in southwestern Ontario had been detained due to an epidemic of COVID-19. Six inmates at Grand Valley Institution in Kitchener, Ontario, were infected, said the Correctional Service of Canada.
It is the only federal prison in Ontario to have reported an outbreak.
The Union of Canadian Correctional Officers also said that a warden was infected and that prison staff received protective equipment if they were to interact closely with inmates, the union said.
The pandemic has shut down most businesses and public facilities, causing financial havoc across the country.
Ontario Opposition Leader Andrea Horwath called on the provincial government to spend up to $ 1.15 billion to help small and medium-sized businesses, charities and community non-profit organizations to survive.
“We not only want them to survive, we want them to be able to keep staff on the payroll as much as possible,” Horwath said in a statement.
The previously announced federal wage subsidy was welcome, but simply not enough, said Horwath. Among other things, the NDP’s proposal provides for a 75% commercial rent subsidy of up to $ 10,000 per month for three months and a freeze on payments for public services.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Sunday that people could start applying for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit on Monday. Direct deposit applicants should receive $ 2,000 a month from five days, while those using mail should see their money in 10 days, he said.