Eligible Canadians Who Lost Their Income Because Of COVID-19 Can Start Applying For A New Emergency Benefits Program Monday As Government Attempts To Keep People Afloat During A Pandemic That Thousands Thousands Lived people around the world.
People born in January, February and March can request the Canadian Emergency Response Service (CERB) starting on Monday. The system, managed by the Canada Revenue Agency, spreads the application window for people born in recent months throughout the week.
The emergency funding program, which offers eligible applicants $ 2,000 a month for up to four months, is just one of the measures the Canadian government has launched to try to get families moving and businesses feeling the fallout from the virus, which has so far resulted in nearly 1.3 million reported cases worldwide.
According to a database maintained by Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, nearly 70,000 people died from the virus, which was first reported in the Chinese province of Hubei in late 2019. The actual figures are certainly many higher due to limited testing, different how nations count the dead, and the deliberate underreporting of some governments.
Over 15,500 of the cases are in Canada, and cases have been recorded in every province and territory except Nunavut. At 6 a.m.ET Monday, authorities reported 307 COVID-19 deaths in Canada. Provinces and territories that provide information on recoveries have identified more than 3,100 cases of COVID-19 as resolved.
Public health officials have warned that the numbers, which do not include the deaths of two Canadians abroad, do not provide a complete picture of the epidemic as they fail to capture cases that have not have not been tested or are still under investigation.
WATCH | Make ethical decisions regarding medical care during a pandemic:
The vast majority of infected people recover from the virus, officially known as SARS CoV-2, which is spread by microscopic droplets from coughing or sneezing.
For most people, the virus causes mild to moderate symptoms such as fever and cough. But for some, especially the elderly and those with health problems, it can cause pneumonia and death.
The Public Health Agency of Canada says the risk varies from community to community, but notes that the disease poses a serious threat to the health of Canadians and sets the level of risk as high.
Here’s what’s happening in the provinces and territories
British Columbia’s top public health official warns people not to give up physical distance. “It is time to remain steadfast in our commitment. To keep our firewall strong, “said Dr. Bonnie Henry over the weekend. Find out more about what’s going on in British Columbia
Alberta reported three new deaths from COVID-19 and 69 new cases on Sunday. Learn more about what’s going on in Alberta, including the story of a woman who brought her elderly mother home when she feared possible outbreaks in retirement homes.
Saskatchewan registered 18 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, bringing the total to 249. Premier Scott Moe has said his government will provide more information this week on provincial models and how the province is preparing for an expected increase in cases. Learn more about what’s going on in Saskatchewan.
Manitoba’s largest city has closed a underground hall and walkway to the city center as part of ongoing efforts to phase out COVID-19. Learn more about what’s going on in Manitoba, including an initiative to house homeless people who are considered at risk for COVID-19 in a Brandon motel.
A hard-hit nursing home in a small Ontario town reported another death related to COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths related to the Pinecrest Nursing Home to 23. The province has 4,038 reported cases, and CBC News puts the number of deaths related to COVID-19 at 146. Learn more about what happening in Ontario.
The Quebec judgment on non-essential activities will continue until May 4 at least. “If we relax our efforts, we will simply delay the moment when we can resume our lives,” said Prime Minister François Legault. Learn more about what’s going on in Quebec, including what the police said after a security guard was hit by a vehicle in a Walmart parking lot.
The Premier of New Brunswick warns that the province, which currently has 101 reported COVID-19 cases, will see more. “This is why we are doing everything we can to fight this,” said Blaine Higgs. Learn more about what’s going on at N.B.
Nova Scotia will step up testing in areas containing “clusters” of COVID-19 cases. The provincial health authority has also established a mobile assessment center with paramedics who can travel from region to region. Learn more about what’s happening in N.S.Students in Prince Edward Island begin virtual learning on Monday. Learn more about what’s going on in Prince Edward Island, which has reported 22 cases of COVID-19 to date.
In Newfoundland and Labrador, Chief Medical Officer of Health Janice Fitzgerald announced 14 new COVID-19s case Sunday, for a total of 217. Find out more about what’s going on in New York, including the Prime Minister’s remarks on US President Donald Trump’s decision to limit the export of critical medical masks.
In the Northwest Territories, health officials have confirmed a fifth case of COVID-19. Learn more about what’s going on in Canada’s North, including a Yukon government program that provides cell phones to vulnerable women.
Here is an overview of what is happening in the United States
From The Associated Press, updated at 6:00 a.m.ET
US surgeon general says Americans should prepare for tragedy reminiscent of September 11 attacks and bombing of Pearl Harbor, while country’s infectious disease chief warns that new coronavirus may never be completely eradicated from the world.
These are some of the darkest assessments to date for the immediate future and beyond. But a few hours later, President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence tried to set a more optimistic tone, suggesting that the difficult weeks ahead may be a prelude to a possible turning point.
“We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel,” Trump said during a Sunday evening briefing at the White House. Pence added, “We are starting to see glimmers of progress. “
The president also insisted that the two assessments of his administration – they were within 12 hours of each other – did not represent a flip-flop or were even “so different”.
“I think we all know that we have to reach a certain point – and this point will be a horrible point in terms of death – but it is also a point where things will start to change,” said Trump. “We are getting very close to this level right now. “
The president added that he thought the next two weeks “are going to be very difficult. At the same time, we understand what they represent and what this time represents and, hopefully, we can do away with that. “
However, Trump’s own briefing has also sometimes taken on a somber tone. The President has offered some of his deepest comments to date to the families of those killed by the virus, urging the nation to pray for them and “ask God to comfort them in their hour of mourning.”
“With the faith of our families and the spirit of our people and the grace of our God, we will last,” said the president. ” We will vanquish. “
WATCH | New York is preparing for an expected increase in coronavirus this week:
Earlier on Sunday, surgeon general Jerome Adams told CNN, “It will be the toughest and saddest week in the lives of most Americans, quite frankly. “
The best doctor in the country went on to say, “It will be our time in Pearl Harbor, our time of September 11, only it will not be located.” It will happen across the country. And I want America to understand this. “
Also on Sunday, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases, said the toll for the coming week “would be shocking to some, but that is what will happen before it does not turn around, so just buckle down. “
He said the virus is unlikely to be completely wiped out this year, and if the world does not control it, it will “take on a seasonal character.”
“We have to be prepared that, as they are unlikely to be completely eradicated from the planet, that as we approach next season we may see the start of a resurgence,” said Fauci. “This is why we are working so hard to improve our readiness. “
The number of people infected in the United States has exceeded 337,000, the death toll has exceeded 9,600. More than 4,100 of these deaths have occurred in New York State, but a glimmer of hope appeared on Sunday when the Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo said his state had seen a slight drop in new deaths over a 24-hour period. However, Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards has said his state may run out of fans by the end of the week.
Here’s what’s going on in Spain, Italy and the rest of Europe hit hard
From the Associated Press and Reuters, updated at 6:00 a.m.ET
Italy announced its lowest daily death rate in more than two weeks on Sunday as the Minister of Health outlined plans for broader testing and enhanced health services as part of easing measures future of locking.
Coronavirus deaths and recorded infections continued to drop Monday Spain, although authorities have warned of possible distortions by slowing down the release of figures over the weekend. The country’s health ministry has reported 637 new deaths in the past 24 hours, the lowest in 13 days, for a total of more than 13,000 since the pandemic hit the country. The new infections recorded were also the lowest in two weeks: 4,273, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to more than 135,000.
Hospitals also report that the pace of patients entering emergency departments is slowing, providing much-needed respite for overworked medical workers.
France reported a slowdown in the number of deaths per day, and Germany its fourth consecutive day with a drop in new cases.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is said to be in a good mood after his first night at the hospital for what his office described as a “precautionary measure” after contracting the new coronavirus. Johnson remains head of government despite being sent to St Thomas Hospital after symptoms of cough and COVID-19 fever persisted. His spokesperson, James Slack. says he’s staying in the hospital under observation.
The 55-year-old leader is the first known head of government to fall ill with the virus and broadcast several video messages during his 10 days of isolation.
WATCH | Sweden is not locked due to COVID-19, experts say it should be:
Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz has said his government intends to start allowing some stores to reopen next week at the start of a long and gradual return to normal life. Kurz said the goal was to allow small stores and garden centers to reopen next Tuesday, with a limited number of customers required to wear masks. He said the government hoped to reopen the rest of the stores, as well as the hair salons, on May 1. Restaurants and hotels will not be able to open until at least mid-May. Events will remain banned until the end of June.
The number of coronavirus cases in Russia has surpassed 6,000 after the largest daily peak of new infections since the start of the epidemic.
Here’s a look at what’s going on in China, South Korea, Japan and other areas of concern
From the Associated Press and Reuters, updated at 6:00 a.m.ET
China On Monday, 39 new cases of coronavirus infection were reported – including 38 imported – one additional death, 10 suspected cases and 1,047 asymptomatic cases under observation.
There have been no new confirmed or suspected cases in the epicenter of Wuhan, where a 14-week lock is due to be lifted on Wednesday. China has registered a total of 81,708 cases and 3,331 deaths.
South Korea reported 47 new cases of coronavirus and three other deaths, bringing the total to 10,284 infections and 186 deaths. South Korean centers for disease control and prevention said on Monday that at least 769 infections were linked to passengers from overseas, most cases having been detected in the past three weeks in the densely populated metropolitan area of Seoul.
The country’s workload has slowed since the beginning of March, when it reported about 500 new cases per day, but officials worried about a steady increase in infections imported from overseas or occurring in hospitals, nursing homes and other residential establishments.
Japan A state of emergency will be declared on Tuesday, media reports said as a shortage of beds and an increase in hospital-related cases are pushing Tokyo’s medical system to the brink of collapse. Meanwhile, US forces have declared a public health emergency for its military bases in eastern Japan.
Singapore placed nearly 20,000 foreign workers in quarantine in their dormitories after an increasing number in the community were found to be infected with COVID-19.
India restricts the export of most diagnostic test kits because its cases have exceeded 3,350 despite a three-week national lockout.
Malaysia On Monday, 131 new coronavirus infections were reported, bringing the country’s total to 3,793 cases, the highest in Southeast Asia. The Ministry of Health recorded 62 deaths, including one more reported on Monday afternoon.
Currently capable of performing 5,000 tests per day, South Africa will increase its capacity to more than 30,000 a day by the end of April, according to the National Health Laboratory Service. South Africa was one of only two countries in Africa to be able to test the new coronavirus when it started worldwide distribution in January. Today, at least 43 of the continent’s 54 countries can, but many have limited capacity.
Mexico the total number of cases was 2,143, an increase of 253 cases from the previous day. The number of deaths increased from 15 to 94.
Haiti Sunday reported his first death, with 21 confirmed cases of respiratory illness.
From Brazil The lower house of Congress approved a constitutional amendment to a “war budget” to separate spending on coronaviruses from the main government budget and protect the economy as the country surpassed 10,000 confirmed cases.